Chapter Ten

I met Max at the station early the next morning. I'd woken up later than I had planned to and hurried to tie my hair up, do my make-up and get dressed. I made sure to get my appearance as neat as possible, after all I was going to the Choosing Ceremony and representing Dauntless with Max.

We caught the train to Erudite and sat in silence for most of the journey. It was only after nearly twenty-five minutes that Max spoke up.

"You won't have to say anything today, just introduce yourself to the other faction leaders." He told me.

I nodded. "Okay."

I wondered if any of them would remember me from the Erudite dinner. Jeanine would, of course, but I was interested to know if the others would recognise me.

"You'll have to stand with me and the other leaders at the front of the room, but Marcus Eaton will be doing all of the speeches and announcing names." He added. "Once the ceremony is over, you and I will lead the Dauntless back to the train. We'll be on the first car with the other Dauntless members that attend. Initiates get the other cars."

I nodded again. "Will we be jumping onto that roof again?"

"Yes. You and I will be, then we will be followed by the initiates. The rest of Dauntless will continue to ride to the station we left from."

"Okay."

"I want you to take a back seat when it comes to the net. I'll do the talking, you just need to stand back and watch."

"Okay. I will do... Anything else?"

"Not that I can think of." Max glanced out of the open door, then his eyes turned back to me. "We need to jump in a minute. I hope you can land on your feet by now."

I swallowed. I hadn't jumped off of a moving train for a long time. It felt foreign to me now.

I watched as Max took a few steps then ran and launched himself out of the car. I quickly followed and the second my feet left the ground, it felt like time was dragging. I felt suspended in the air for ages, the wind blowing into my face, my pony tail blowing around behind me, until I finally landed with a thump. I stumbled a little and had to put down one hand, but I managed to stay on my feet and grinned proudly once I had realised that.

"Not bad, newbie. Not bad at all." Max commented.

I straightened up and looked over at him, to find him looking impressed. Within a second of me seeing his expression, he suddenly became void of any emotion again and began to saunter towards the ceremony's venue.

~

People were just starting to arrive as Max and I entered the building. There had been a lot of people outside, slowly making their way in, and we'd squeezed through them all, running up the many flights of stairs.

The first person we spotted inside was Jeanine. I instantly found her gaze on me, and she slowly made her way over, closing the cover on her small tablet as she did so.

"Dauntless." She greeted with a sickly smile. "Max, Jacquetta. Good to see you both again."

"And you." Max nodded.

"I take it that you finally accepted a leadership role, Jacquetta? I am assuming that is why you are here with Max." Jeanine looked back at me.

"Yes. I did." I replied. "They all became very persuasive."

"I'm sure." She bowed her head a little, then turned back to Max. "Is she informed about our meeting later this week?"

"We've yet to fill her in on all of our plans." Max answered. "Once the ceremony is over and we get the chance, the four of us were going to sit and fill her in."