Chapter Five

It took a few days for me to get myself into gear, but eventually I managed to move my things into Eric's apartment. Angelina had helped a little bit, and so had Talulah, but I didn't really have much to move. None of my furniture needed moving, and Tee had kept everything else. The only thing that had needed to go was my bed, and we sold it to a Dauntless woman who had been looking for a cheap one.

It felt weird not seeing Talulah at least once every day. Sometimes I could go days at a time without bumping into her, due to arranging the library, working in the control room and spending time with Eric. Everyday for almost a year she'd been there, and I found myself missing her. That's why I'd arranged to help her decorate the baby's room.

She was huge now, just weeks away from her due date and I could tell she was nervous. Hal had completed the furniture for the room, and had it in his work shop waiting for someone to collect it. My plan was to paint the room a soft yellow colour, then bring in all of the furniture and unpack all of the toys and clothes that we'd bought.

I stood on a chair and reached upwards, trying to paint the top of the wall carefully. My mind drifted to the last time that I'd painted this apartment, and the special moment that I'd shared with Eric.

"I miss having you here." Talulah spoke up, breaking the gentle silence that had settled upon the room.

I glanced over my shoulder at her and watched as she painted the bottom of the wall. She was sat with her legs crossed, one arm rested on her bump, the other painting.

"I miss being here." I replied truthfully. "I'd gotten so used to having you around all the time."

"So had I." She paused and looked over at me. "How's living with Eric? I know we've discussed it before, but now that the novelty's warn off... How is it really?"

"Well," I thought about it for a moment. "He snores sometimes and it can be loud and annoying, he still forgets to do the washing, he's constantly leaving books everywhere and he doesn't rinse the sink round after brushing his teeth... But I'm still enjoying it. It's nice that we get to go home to each other at night. Like if one of us has a bad day, there's always someone there to make the other feel better."

She smiled. "That sounds lovely."

"It is." I nodded, then watched as she sighed. "What's up?"

"Nothing." She shook her head. "I just always thought that I would have that with Nathan..."

I sighed and stepped down off of the chair. "You would have. Nathan would've come home every night to you and your little monster and you'd have been a proper family."

She nodded, her eyes filling with tears.

"But the accident happened, and now you won't." I placed the paintbrush on the pot, then knelt beside her. "Instead, you'll be coming home every day to this little monster on your own, and when it's old enough, it'll be running to the door excitedly, wanting to see you. You'll have your child to make you feel better."

"What am I going to tell it when it wonders why it doesn't have a daddy?"

"That Daddy can't be with us, but he's always in our hearts." I answered and pulled her into a hug.

She sighed and cuddled in to me. "I miss him. I miss you. I miss Freddie."

"I promise I'll be around more. What about a special girly day once a week or something?"

"Okay." She nodded and pulled away.

"And, Freddie got back last night... He's going to help move the baby stuff into here. You should tell him how you feel. I'm sure he'll want to see you more."