Chapter 42

The song for this chapter is "Never Been Hurt" by Demi Lovato, a video is attached.

This chapter is dedicated to reading-is-my-cardio!

Enjoy!

****

* Jamie Watson *

"You're such a hypocrite!" I screamed loudly in order to gain Nate's attention as he marched on towards his car preparing to leave me behind. On cue he spun back around nearly falling over from how quickly he turned to face me. His cheeks were bright red with anger as he glared at me with disbelief.

"Jamie" my father called out as I heard his footsteps gaining on me from behind but I couldn't break the eye lock Nate and I had. "Let it go, it's not worth it" he whispered sounding utterly terrified for my safety. I know what he thought, I know what everyone thought. Nate was a loose canon and saying the wrong thing could set him off and perhaps he would attack me again. But, I didn't hold that same fear. I knew him differently.

"What did you say?" Nate growled officially ignoring my father in the process as he stared on blankly at me, a shielded rage hidden in his eyes. His large hands were clenching into tight fists at his side as he awaited my answer.

Taking a deep breath I spat back "I said you're a hypocrite" to this he marched forward. His sneakers smacking against the concrete burning my ears with each step that he took. When he finally stopped he was only a foot or so away from me, his head was pushed down so his chin was nearly brushing against his chest just so he could get a good look at me. I could hear my fathers deep breathing from behind me as he found himself in an internal battle. Does he let me handle this myself or does he intervene before things get out of hand. Though I knew he was contemplating the decision he didn't move instead we waited for Nate's rebuttal.

He gulped hardly, loud enough for me to actually hear him swallow and I knew he was trying to keep his anger down. "Care to enlighten me?" He quirked sarcastically as he turned his head slightly to the side in a cocky fashion.

Ignoring my family's quiet pleas from behind me, I continued to push Nate's buttons. I don't care how big or how strong Nate is, I love him enough to tell him when he's wrong. "When your best friend slept with your mate you devise a year long plan to make them pay" I began as his jaw shifted from side to side, cracking in the process. "Yet when my best friend does the same thing I'm wrong for confronting her?" I challenged with as light head nod.

As my words hit his ears, his bushy eyebrows shot upward with shock. "Oh Carter is your mate now? Funny how five minutes ago I was" he hissed harshly as his chest rippled out showing off his muscles. I knew I was pushing Nate, and I knew that wasn't the best idea but I needed him to see where I was coming from. How am he find his actions acceptable yet me yelling and hitting Lynn was somehow wrong?

"Jamie!" Wyatt called using his authoritative tone, hoping that old habits would be hard to break and I wold listen to him before I paid the price.

"You're so stubborn!" I yelled giving his chest a rough shove just like I had done to him all those weeks ago, and like I had done to Lynn moments ago. "You're not listening to me! I'm not mad at you for loving Heather so why-"

"I don't love her" he interjected rudely, his eyes flashing even darker as her name was brought up. His actions when we talk about her prove my statement. She hurt him and he can't get over that because he cares for her.

"Yes you do" I argued dolefully "look how you just acted when you heard they were together again!" I continued to assault his ears with my banter. Seeing his walls come down and his pain filled eyes, I took a new approach and softened my voice. "But you can't sit here and make me the bad guy for feeling betrayed when in the same situation you acted much worse" I now spoke calmly, my tone soft. His bushy eyebrows knitted downward as he took in what I said. No longer did he deny his feelings for Heather nor declare that I was wrong for my emotions.