Chapter 13

The song for this chapter is "Lonely" by Akon.

Also, this chapter is dedicated to animallover1334.

Enjoy! Please vote!

****

* Jamie Watson *

The past few weeks with Carter have been magical almost like living in a fairytale. Replacing the evil stepmother and poison apples with a spiteful Alpha and a werewolf fight, of course. Waking up next to him every morning was priceless really, it was something simple yet something I never thought I'd be able to do with him. Being able to learn about his favorite foods, bands, and hobbies was something that was usually discussed when you first meet your mate but it wasn't that easy for us. Though now that we were constantly together we took advantage of the opportunity and we actually had a lot in common.

Being where I grew up instead of where Carter had left us with no fighting, no lying, no more secrets just fun... and love. Right now as our wolves trotted about in the fields it felt as though something was missing- or someone rather. Even though this time was blissful for me- my wolf didn't agree. She longed for Nate. I knew she was trying to come to terms with the fact that he isn't who she thought but it just wasn't that simple.

Do to Carter still being a member of Paquete de Luna de Sangre we were unable to communicate through our mind link though with one look into his light brown eyes I knew he was questioning where my head was at right now. I nudged his head playfully as if telling him everything was okay and thankfully he didn't push for more. Instead, he just turned his snout forward, looking out into the distance.

As Carter peered away I could feel his sadness growing as if he knew his Alpha was on my mind and as much as I wanted to assure him that wasn't that case- it was.  My wolf smiled briefly confirming my plan as I jumped on Carter allowing our four-legged animals to roll around together. It didn't take long for him to shake me off and cock his head sideways in a playful yet taunting manner.

A slight squeal escaped the lips of my wolf as she took off running knowing he was chasing us ready to get me back for hopping on him. The heartache he had recently felt was long gone as his strong grey wolf played with mine. Nothing but love radiated from him pure, honest, love.

However, I still couldn't shake the fact that Carter had lied to me about Heather. Even though I knew he cared for me, after all, he was my mate, it was his duty but, the thought of Heather still floated around in my brain. What was so special about her that he felt the need to hide it?

As bad as Nate may seem- scratch that as bad as he is he told me the truth, and I valued that.

****

"Is something wrong?" Carter questioned stepping up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist while burying his face in my still-damp hair. "I could tell when we were running that you weren't really there" he added quietly against my skin, an uneasy feeling dominating his body.

I spun in his arms looking up at him avoiding eye contact with my brother and Wyatt who had walked into the kitchen instantly taking in our current position. "It's nothing" I assured him with a fake smile hoping he would drop it though I wasn't so lucky.

"Is it Nate?" He murmured as if he already knew it was. His tone was no longer soft and curious instead it was more annoyed as he took on a standoff-ish persona.

I gulped nervously not wanting to bring Nate up- ever again though he was unavoidable. "It's about Heather," I told him as he sighed at the realization. He didn't seem at ease like I would have expected him to be. Instead, he seemed more on edge then when he thought the topic was Nate.