{16} invitation 🌊

Jungkook had never seen anyone swim this fast. Even the Olympic swimers he had seen on the TV, didn't swim with such ease, such grace as Taehyung. He seemed to blend in with the waves, his figure gliding underwater as if only propelled by the current. It was truly mesmerizing.

The woman beside him seemed to notice his astonishment.

"Is this the first time you're seeing him swim ?" She asked with a smile.

"Y-yeah..."

Jungkook was too enthralled to properly answer. He was instinctively moving closer to the shore to see him better.

"Taehyung is quite famous in the region," Ms. Dae explained, even though Jungkook was barely listening to her. "They say he's a gift of the sea. His grandmother adopted him, and rumours say she found him on the beach, a baby swimming in the water. I don't know if it's true, but what I know is, the boy will never leave the water. And the waves will never leave him."

By the time the lady finished talking, Taehyung was already back with the red scarf. The puppy ran up to him and barked happily until the boy tied the scarf around his little neck.

Jungkook and the woman walked behind the dog, and heard Taehyung speaking to him :

"I got your scarf back this time, but you should be careful, I won't always be there ! Got it ?"

The puppy barked, as if he understood.

"Alright," Taehyung continued, "now go back to your owner and be a good boy."

Once again, the dog barked, and Jungkook could've sworn he was answering Taehyung. But before he could think about it too much, the lady thanked Taehyung and got on her way.

Jungkook offered him a towel but he was already almost completely dry ; except for his hair, darkened by the salt water and clinging to his forehead and his neck. His legs and his torso were already dry, and Jungkook's gaze lingered on his smooth skin for a moment ; it had almost a shine to it, which reminded him of the blue glow he thought he had seen out of the corner of his eyes, the day before.

"You're... you're incredible."

Jungkook barely noticed the words escaping his lips, too focused on the way Taehyung's skin was reflecting the sunlight.

Taehyung, who was buttoning up his shirt, looked up to him.

"Thank you," he said softly.

Jungkook came to his senses when Taehyung finally finished closing his shirt, and he hoped he hadn't looked too much like a creep -even though he was almost 100% positive he had.

"Don't you have to go back to the café ?" Jungkook asked, hoping to distract from his weird behavior.

"Yeah, you're right, I should get going. But there's a reason I came here in the first place, with all this I almost forgot !"

Taehyung turned to face Jungkook, and he immediately got uncomfortable.

"I told you Jimin was taking dance classes, right ?"

"Uh, yeah, why ?"

"Well, one of Jimin's dance teachers just opened his own studio yesterday, and this week-end we're celebrating both the opening of his studio and Jimin's new show. Why don't you come celebrate with us ? We're thinking barbecue on the beach. And, just in case you're hesitating, Yoongi's gonna cook the meat, and let me tell you, you don't wanna miss out on that." Taehyung winked at him.

It was already the second time Taehyung had winked at Jungkook, and he wasn't sure how to feel about it. He was sure, however, about his answer to the invitation.

"You had me at 'meat'," said Jungkook, "I'll come by."

Taehyung laughed.

"Great, I knew I had what it took to convince you. When I think Yoongi had the guts to doubt me ! We'll be waiting for you then. Jimin hasn't stopped complaining that you haven't sent him a single text, so he'll be happy to see you too."

Jungkook srunched up his nose with guilt. He had pretty much forgotten about sending Jimin a message.

"Well, let's say Saturday night, around 7PM on the beach, okay ? Your shift will be over by then, right ?"

"Yup, it's fine by me." Jungkook nodded.

Taehyung was about to go back to the café, when he seemed to suddenly remember something.

"When does you shift end today ? And are you free after ?" He asked Jungkook.

"Um, around 6 I think. And, well, I think I have a little time before going back to the hotel. Why ?"

"Well, I was thinking we could have a little swim. You like swimming, right ?"

"Well, yes, but... just the two of us ?"

"Yeah, does it bother you ?"

"No, no, not really, I'm just... No, it's fine, why not. I'll see you later then ?"

"Yeah, see you later !"

Taehyung waved goodbye and jogged up the shore and towards the café. Jungkook watched him until he disappeared into the building.

Taehyung was a lot less weird than he thought he was, and a lot nicer than he expected him to be. And quite mysterious, too.

If there was one think he knew for sure, it was that his life in Gimyong would probably be a little less ordinary than he planned it to be.