Prologue

darryl

"There's dark energy surrounding the area of Springfield. I understand that your recent mortal has passed, correct?"

I nodded at the words of Gabriel, one of the Great Angels. I tucked my wings respectfully, folding them behind my back so they didn't get in the way of things. They were quite large, with a wingspan of around 10 feet. But tucked behind me, they didn't take up much room at all.

"That is correct," I replied. I made sure my voice was calm and soft, a symbol of respect. Talking to a Great Angel was an honor, since they're one of the highest ranked type of angel. I, myself, am a Guardian Angel. That basically means I protect the mortal world, usually assigned a specific human to watch over.

Gabriel nodded. "Then I have a clear assignment for you, Darryl. There is a student that happens to have dark energy surrounding him. Whether it is within him, or from his peers, is for you to determine. We need you, Darryl, for we are in fear of the demons possessing the bodies of our people in the mortal world. I'm afraid they're finding cracks in the barrier between Hell and Earth, now you must be one of our Warriors to help fight them off."

I blinked a few times. My wings shifted nervously behind me. "May I inform you, that I am not a Warrior Angel, but merely a Guardian Angel?" I spoke carefully, wondering if Gabriel had forgotten my position.

The angel's eyebrows furrowed. "You don't think I know that? You are not a Warrior Angel, I know you're not built for battle. But you are a Guardian Angel, the protector of the mortals, and right now they are in danger. Do not fret, my dear Darryl. You shall not come in combat with the dark creatures. But, you must use your wits and observations to determine which mortals have the demon trapped within their bodies," Gabriel explained, soothing my nerves and informing me of the situation all at once. "If you feel threatened, you must notify me at once. I will send a Warrior Angel to you. Is that clear?"

I nodded, taking a deep breath. "It is clear, Gabriel."

The wiser angel gave me a small smile. "Then it is decided. The young man under your wing is named Zak Carder, a 17 year old student at Lincoln High School. I'll send you to his location."

I nodded, watching Gabriel cast a golden portal in front of me. Biting my lip, I took a few steps forward and let myself drift off into the teleportation to the mortal universe.

<GUARDIAN ANGEL>