II

A/N: Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to include God in this story. I'm not that religious myself, but I feel like since the whole theme is "angels" you kind of have to have a leader? If you're an atheist, and your argument is "well God doesn't exist", well I'm pretty sure that Guardian Angels don't exist either, so... this is a fictional story and I can include whoever I want. :)

zak

I walked back into my bedroom, holding two bowls of popcorn in my hands. I looked over at my bed to see Darryl sitting there with his wings resting on the bed. I admired the massive feathery things as I gave him one bowl of popcorn.

"What may this be?" He asked me while I seated myself in my gaming chair across the room.

I raised an eyebrow at his confusion. "It's popcorn. Haven't you have popcorn before? Aren't they supposed to have the best things in heaven?" I pointed out, tossing a piece into my mouth.

Darryl shook his head, picking up a piece and observing it. "I'm not from heaven." I gave him a strange look. "I'm from Limbo, the border between heaven and earth. I cannot watch over mortals from heaven, for that place is for mortals who are good."

I shrugged. "But like... isn't God from heaven? He watches over people, right?" I questioned, munching on the popcorn super loudly as if to encourage Darryl to try some.

The angel finally popped a piece into his mouth. "Our Lord is not an angel, for he is so much more powerful."

I sighed. "So like... does every human have a Guardian Angel?" I asked him.

Darryl shook his head. "No, there isn't merely enough angels to protect every human on this earth," He explained. "You're one of the lucky ones."

I bit my lip. "So then why do I have one? What makes me different from my friends and family?" I asked the guardian.

Darryl smiled at me. "You see, there is dark energy surrounding you."

I gave him a horrified look. "Wait... does that mean I'm evil? I'm not evil, I've never had bad intentions! Don't send me to hell!" I exclaimed, eating the popcorn with stress.

The angel laughed. "Only the worst of people get sent there. No, you're not evil. You just have dark energy surrounding you. Maybe it is within you, I'm not sure. You wouldn't know it. Your friends wouldn't know it if they have it either."

I bit the inside of my cheek. "I don't understand," I stammered, trying to make sense of Darryl's words.

The guardian sighed. "So... the demons have finally cracked the barrier between hell and earth. They've found ways to feed off of the fear of the mortals by capturing them and keeping them in secret places," Darryl began. "But, there's a catch. The demons cannot withstand on their own in the mortal world. They have to find a host."

My eyes widened. "So you're saying that one of my friends could have a demon inside them?" I questioned with a slightly shaky voice, unsure of what the older was suggesting.

Darryl nodded. "They wouldn't know it."

I started to think of every single person I've communicated with in my lifetime, wondering if they've had a demon inside them this entire time.

"I know it's one of your friends, because I feel as if the dark energy has been present in this house before," He informed me, extending his wings slightly as if he could sense something in the air.

I shook my head. "Is that why Dave went missing? Was he captured by this demon thing?"

The angel nodded.

Suddenly I felt sick to my stomach. The thought of one of my friends capturing Dave to feed off of his fear was horrifying. To imagine how panicked and scared Dave must feel, while the demon in one of my friend's bodies is just feeding off of his terror.

That's when a car-starting sound came from outside. Darryl jumped. I laughed at his skittish behavior. "What was that?" He asked me, completely ignoring my taunt.

I stood up, walked over to my bedroom window and pushed aside the curtain. I saw the green Jeep from Clay's house start to pull out of the driveway. "It's just my friend Clay's car. He likes to go on late night snack runs," I explained to the guardian, soothing his nerves. "You really aren't used to all of these earth sounds, are you?"

Darryl sighed. "It's been a while since I've watched over a mortal. I'll have to get used to all of these things again."

"Back to what we were saying before, how are you going to investigate my friends without revealing that you're an angel?" I pointed out to the older.

Darryl smiled at me. "Now this I've done plenty of times." The guardian continued to explain to me how he can make his wings invisible to the naked eye, like completely invisible. No feeling, seeing, hearing, smelling, or even tasting his wings. He told me that he can simply disguise myself as a new student. If he needs to, he can make himself look younger, but I informed him that he already looks young enough.

"That's so cool," I gasped after he explained everything to me. "What else can angels do?"

The guardian gave me a grin. "Lots of stuff. I will show you my powers if they are ever needed."

I immediately pouted. "You're no fun."

Darryl sighed. "Aren't you supposed to rest, mortal? It's getting pretty late. I need you to make me a bed."

I raised an eyebrow. "Angels sleep?"

He shook his head. "Not usually, no. But the mortal world drains my energy, so on earth angels do."

I nodded. "Okay, I'll make you a spot on the couch."