Chapter 12

GABRIELLA

I'm finally out. I was happy when Andrew made me the Governor, but after a few months I began to hate it. I'm not a leader, I don't want to be a leader. Now my daughter is the Governor. I just hope she leads everybody well. I hope she doesn't make any stupid decisions.

I haven't paid much attention to the prisoner. But now that I'm not the Governor I have more time on my hands. I walked down to the cells and walked inside. I grabbed a chair and sat down right in front of the bars of the cell. I looked at the prisoner.

"You've been here for a while. I think it's time to tell us who you are. Why you're here" I said.

"I've told you many times. I'm not answering any of your questions" The prisoner said.

"Well you aren't going to leave until you do. So maybe you should think about that" I said.

The prisoner looked at me. He didn't say anything. He just looked into my eyes.

"I don't even know why you guys are against us. We did nothing wrong. Shouldn't we be working together, there isn't many of us left" I said.

"You crossed into our community. Scared our people. Most people that are alive today have killed. You've killed. Most people are bad these days" the prisoner said.

"How old are you?" I asked.

He didn't answer.

"I just want to know if you were alive during or after the dead" I said.

"I wasn't alive then, and I'm happy I wasn't. People who were are murderers. Criminals" the prisoner said.

"We aren't, we aren't criminals. We can all work together" I said.

"If you've killed, you are" the prisoner said.

"What did you do to all the people that lived during the dead?" I asked.

"We killed them. Because that's what they deserve. Even if they were our mothers and fathers" the prisoner said.

"Doesn't that make you a murderer then?" I asked.

"No. Because if you kill your punishment is death. We are coming for you. All of you. You aren't safe anymore. The Tower will take over. We will take back the world from criminals like you" the prisoner said.

"Good luck with that. What's the Tower?" I asked.

"That's what we call our community. You should fear us, we will kill all of you who deserve to die" the prisoner said.

I turned around and stepped out of the cells. These people are crazy. They killed all of the people that lived that long to get them to where they are today. The people that survived that long, survived for nothing. I came here to clear my head, but all it did was pressure me even more. We are at risk of an attack. We need to be careful.

SAMANTHA

I was shocked and scared that someone talked back to me on the radio. I can't believe it. This can't be real.

"Hello are you there?" The woman asked.

"Are you real?" I asked