Chapter 23: The Enduring Experience (Part 1)

The loud and screeching noise of the drill was like scratching chalk on the chalk board, painfully slow and the worst part was, it had been going on since the last half an hour and it was still there. I was ducking under Andy's bed, their room locked but still I had a fear of someone breaking in. My Dad is finally getting rid of that wooden piece above my bed which bumped my head every time I wake up, thankfully the momentum has decreased and I get to be more careful now. Doesn't still hides the fact that it haunts my sleep too that when I'll wake up, this is just another thing I have to be careful about. The book in my hands is phenomenal. I have decided for a change and opted for a more paranormal fiction series. "One Of The Five" or "The Gatekeepers". And I'm not regretting my decision at all, this is so different from anything I've read before. And it's the only thing distracting me from that drilling noise. Speaking of it, the drill can't be used to remove a piece of wood?

Finishing the chapter, I closed the book and felt one of the wood planks above me hit my knee, which was slightly lifted in the air.

Groaning in pain I pulled my head a bit out of the darkness and shouted to Andy, "Stop doing that, it's hurting me." He, being my annoying brother just mimicked me and did it again, only this time I have laid my knee; legs straight lying on the wooden floor. I felt the bed bump down again and I bet it only missed me by two centimeters when Andy ran out of the room, followed by Blair and Meredith walking gracefully beheind them. I chuckled at her by myself and waited in anticipation for the work to be done.

"It's done Evelyn, you can come out." I heard Andy's voice emrging through the doorway and I looked at him confused.

I still needed to be sure if the people have left the house, for me to finlly come out of hiding. "Are they gone yet?" Andy's head nodded in agreement and I carefully peeked my head out first then crawled my body backwards until my torso was freed from the shade of the bed. I flipped myself and rose my hips too, only for my butt to hit the wooden plank of the bed. I dopped my body and groaned in pain. It was awfully hurting and Andy was just laughing his head off in the doorway. I scowled at him and slid myself out again very carefully and slowly.

"Hey Mom, is it done?" I had my one hand on my right butt and the other clutching the kitchen shelf.

She looked up at me and examined my face. "What happened?" Mothers. I sighed and dropped myself on a chair but immediately stood up and winced in pain.

"My butt got hit on the wooden plank of Andy's bed." I muttered the words out and started rubbing the sore spot lightly. Mom made a painful expression then went over to the refrigerator and took out a cold peas packet from the freezer and handed it to me.

"You're room's wooden piece is cut off and put this-" motioning to the peas packet in my hands, "-on the spot for a while, it'll be better by tomorrow morning, hopefully." Her look wasn't convinced but then I remembered something.

"But we have the day out today." I whined and Mom chuckled lightly at me. She patted my cheek and walked over to the stove.

"I guess then you'll just have to re-schedule it-"

I didn't let her finish, "-NO!" Her head whipped towards me, quizically. "I-uh-I mean it's um...you won't let me do it any other day, I know it!" I huffed loudly and Mom just shrugged.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The room's pretty good, what's changed?" I was gawking at my room. The lamp that was usually placed on the bedside table was no longer there and there was no use of it even. The room shimmered a bright yellow and white light from two corners of the room, sub-merging together and adding a very bright and fresh glow to the room. The wooden piece was no longer there and surprisingly, the bed area felt more spacious now, even if that wooden piece wasn't so big after all.