Chapter 9: Birthday Specials

"Good Morning." I grunted on the familiar sorts of noises. Who the hell would be so excited at this time of the day?

"Get up, it's a special day Evelyn." A voice shouted which I assumed was Dan. But again I swear it's only 6 am because it's pitch dark outside. Wait, how'd I know, I haven't even opened my eyes yet.

"Happy birthd-"

"Shh!" A few voices fly over my head to the person who was saying happy birthday to someone. My eyes flew open like I was never sleeping. I see almost twelve pairs of eyes in front of me.

"Is it my birthday?" I whispered, my voice unclear with the morning voice.

"Ow you smell gross and yes it is." Elliot fanned her hand over her mouth and I immediately closed my mouth shut. Talk about embarrassing.

"Meow!" Well isn't that a surprising start. Meredith was actually gone on a 'road trip' without informing us, for the past few days. Sometimes she leaves home and come back after a long time. Sometimes to introduce us to her new boyfriend or sometimes to introduce us to her new friend. She jumped in my arms and I cuddled up in her fur. She's so soft and furry, taking in a Persian cat was the best choice I've ever made.

"Thank you Meredith." Then the awkward part came. When everyone started singing Happy birthday to me. I can't believe that I totally forgot my birthday. Usually I would wait endlessly for this day but the last few days sure were full and busy. I was eighteen now. I was actually eighteen now. It felt so good not to be called a young girl now. I was pretty old to have a driver's license and to get a good job too. But I couldn't. Curse Governor Patrick for this. Doesn't he have children of himself. I doubt if he has only two kids. Even if he has more than that, it wouldn't matter because he's the chief of this town. And well the birthday song came to an end and I rushed towards the bathroom. It's so embarrassing when you get called up on 9 am in the morning and someone starts to sing for you. You can't even smile because of your morning sore face.

I got out and decided to change my wardrobe today, It's my birthday and I have all the right not to wear those hoodies again. I opened a drawer and shuffled through my no-big-amount of clothes until I found a cute dress that was till my knees and had half sleeves. It was a a refreshing dark green colour and had sequences around the edges. My mom bought it for me on my 16th birthday but I never wore it. I thought maybe there will be some occasion which will be worth wearing this. I know today's not that special today but YOLO, right?

I put on a little lip gloss which made my naturally pink lips shimmer. I walked downstairs and my dear family was already fighting on where to go today.

"You kids are going to the local restaurant and that's it." Thanks mom, don't bother asking the birthday girl. I cleared my throat to catch their attention. And when I say to catch their attention, I sure didn't mean the looks they were giving me. It felt so awkward being the centre of attention. Judging by their faces it seems like a big surprise to them. Mom was the first one to give me a genuine smile.

"Ever heard of flies going around in this village? Close your moth guys, you'll catch 'em." I retorted and went to sit on the breakfast table. In a few seconds everyone was back to their stuff but none even told me if I should wear this dress or not. I didn't want to ask them in case they again start giving me those what-are-you-wearing looks.

I excused myself after finishing my breakfast and was about to go upstairs when I heard Blair's voice.

"You look good." I looked back at her and she just shrugged and kept eating her oatmeal like it was just a normal thing for me to wear the dressed. But soon enough all of the other chimed in.

"Good? You look amazing."

"The dress is so beautiful."

"Bunny has grown up."