Chapter 6: the past

Isaacs Chevy flew down the main road and onto one of the back roads that almost no-one knew about.
The Chevys pace slowed a bit as it rounded a corner. The road was narrow with two short lanes. The Chevy weaved its way between a few cars, then sped up down the straights. There was only silence, I was concentrating on driving, my eyes were glued to the road.
Michael was examining the forestry and farmland that flew right past him. Isabella had her eyes closed, trying to keep herself mentally stable. Catarina was still silent, looking at her feet and thinking. She's never been this silent before, she was usually the loudest of the four. Then, Something caught Michael's eye.
Michael broke the silence.
"Stop the car." Michael told me quietly. The Chevy slowed down to a halt.
"What is it?" I asked intently.
Katie looked out of the back of the car, she gasped and tapped Isaac on the shoulder. I turned around And saw Katie pointing at an abandoned camper van that seemed to be moving back and forth, but not a lot.
I opened my door and squatted down, Michael and Isabella followed while Katie and Catarina looked through the back window of the Chevy.
"What did you see?" I whispered with anticipation.
"I saw some movement inside that van. Could be survivors." Michael explained.
"For all we know, the rest of the world could be dead..." Isabella was cut off
"Or, we were the first ones to be hit by the virus." Michael added.
"That doesn't matter now, we just need to check out this van and get the heck out of here." I explained.
"We don't know what's in there! There could be anything in there." Isabella said nervously.
"Alright then, you wait here and me and Michael will go and check out this van."
"Fine then..." Before anyone could say anything else, Isabella stormed off to the car.
"Come on, let's get this done with." Michael nodded and we both slowly crouched our way over to one side of the camper.
I peeked through, trying to find where the movement was coming from. It was a complete mess inside, plates were smashed, curtains were scratched and torn, there were dark blood stains on the left cupboards and there was a fowl stench coming from the drivers cabin, which had a curtain covering with a few scratches and holes. I covered my mouth with my arm, coughing and spluttering.
"What?" Michael asked with confusion.
"Look for yourself..." I replied, still coughing.
Michael peeked in for a second and came straight back out.
"Oh Sh..." Then, before he could finish, there was a Faint bark from within the camper. We both spun around to the camper door, there was more light barking and very light footsteps. I then spotted a completely matt black hockey stick leaning against the camper. I quickly picked it up and readied myself, stick in the air and ready for almost anything.
Then, a tiny German Shepard peeked around the camper door and barked a few more times before jumping out of the camper, wagging its tail with its tongue out. I sighed with relief and put the stick down. We both knelt down as the small puppy approached them. But, something seemed familiar about this puppy...

"Hey there, what were you doing in there?" Michael asked softly. Michael turned to me slowly and smirked. I smirked with him then nudged his shoulder. I held my arms out to the puppy, beckoning it to come to me. The frail pup whimpered and backed away slowly, its tail had stopped wagging.
"It's alright, we're not going to hurt you."
Isaac explained softly again. The puppies head raised and its tail started wagging again. It walked over into my hands and laid down. Its fur was as soft as silk, I lifted it up with my right arm and picked up the stick with my left.

"What are we gonna do with it?" Michael asked as they began to walk back over to the Chevy, when suddenly there was a groan from behind them. My head spun around and saw a lady that was in half. Her face had flesh missing, her hair was mostly gone, her left eye had been gauged out, her left pinky and index finger were missing and her legs were hanging by some sort of tendon. Isaac spun his body around, his face in disgust.
Michael also turned around, he threw his hands to his face and covered his eyes.
"What, the, hell?" Michael asked, almost vomiting. I closed my eyes tightly. In a way, she resembled to my mother, well, if the flesh was still there. I passed the puppy over to Michael, Now, he knew why that puppy was so familiar.

"You alright?" Michael asked nervously as the corpse got closer.
"Get in the car... I'll take care of her." I said, my heart filled with sorrow. Michael didn't question me and went straight back to the car. Isaac opened his eyes and gripped the stick in both hands, walking over to her then stopping about five meters away. She was weak, she couldn't move very far and would probably die again before she could get far. Then after ten seconds of Watching, she finally gave up and stayed in one place, reaching for Isaac. He knelt near her, but not close enough so she could reach him.

"I know I was never there for you when I moved out..." I paused. A tear rolling down my eye.
"I should of never been mad at you, even if... If..." He stopped and fell to the ground, tears rolling down his face.
"I just wish I had more time..." Isaac continued.
"I wish I could go back... Back to a better time." Isaac stopped. He couldn't take anymore than he had. He stood back up, stick in both hands, he gripped the handle hard and raised the stick.
"I-I..."

"I'm sorry..." And before anything else I slammed my stick down hard on the women's head. There was aloud thunk noise that signified that the stick had sunken its way into her skull. She stopped moving, completely. There was no sign of her living or dead, or undead for that matter. I pulled out the hockey stick quickly and dragged her body to the side of the road, where I crossed her arms, she seemed a bit more peaceful this way. I saw her necklace, silver with a heart on it, it had a picture of me when I was a little baby and one of my dad. I undid the necklace and put it in my pocket. I then walked back over to the car and we took off straight away. The Chevys engined roared down the road as they drove away,
trying to forget the past.

"Did you know her?" Michael asked nervously. The Chevy began to grind to a halt. The only word that came out of my mouth was...
"Mum..." and showed them the necklace from my pocket.