[𝓉𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒]

"Ouran Academy?"

"Yes. It is an elite private academy in Tokyo, Japan. Students are primarily children of prominent families, be it business tycoons, bigshots, celebrities, politicians, and socialites alike."

You can't help but look at the snow-white moustache of the man speaking in front of you right now––the Superintendent of Special Investigation Bureau, Mr Goldberg––who one day called you to the bureau for your mission assignment.

The wait for your assignment never bothers you that much. You, on top of your moonlighting, are most importantly still a student nonetheless and thus, are more concerned about the fact that you have not been enrolled to any school. The fact that Japanese school term is starting soon doesn't help either. You could just get yourself applied to anywhere with your higher-ups' connection (and money), but for the sake of whatever mission you are to be assigned to eventually, you cannot just get enrolled to any school, or rent any place – everything has to be efficiently strategic. But on top of that, there is also only so much time you could buy until your parents find it suspicious that you are not going anywhere with your overseas studies plan.

"And the tea?" you unconsciously remark as you drift off to your thoughts while leaning back on your seat. Your eyes quickly widen when you realise what you have said to someone who is a lot higher and higher and higher in ranks than you are. Back straightened up, you quickly regain eye contact with your boss. You purse your lips into a thin line as you stare the man.

Should you smile? Should you try to explain the origin? Ah, you drift off to your thoughts again. How long has this silence been going on?

Why does it have to be the superboss who has to hand you the assignment? You have never had to interact with the superintendent before and you had only seen him during your inauguration. Rather, all your past assignments had always been handed out by your direct supervisors, like Norman. You miss Norman. Where is that chestnut-haired man when you need him the most? He can be such a stuck-up boss sometimes, but at least he is a hot stuck-up boss. Not that the old man in front of you isn't hot. His look actually reminds you of that recent installation of a certain free dating simulation game with the famous fast-food chicken franchise. He is also quite buff for a man of his age. How old is he? Look at those pectorals peeking from his tight dress shirt beneath that suits-wait you are breaking the eye contact. Abort abort--

"The public reaction to it is mixed. People with enough affluence flock their way to the institution to ensure their kids of a successful future. The rest just accepts it as the rich-kids' playground. It might not seem out of the place for Japanese high societies to be in internal collusion, so long they do not violate anti-trade laws. However, it concerns the authorities if they are in collusion of something illegal. And it concerns us if it is unmanageable by these authorities-"

"Or if the authorities itself is a part of the illegality." you cut Mr-boss-Goldberg-fu*k-what-did-you-just-friggin-do. You immediately snapped back to reality after having zoned on his explanation and cutting his brief midway.

"Yes. Yes, you're very correct, Agent. And that's. the. tea." your higher-up replies, ending his remark with your own reference. What in the world did you just make him do?

You gulp at the thought of your impending termination.

"But it is not easy to get ourselves into the black hole. We don't even know what kind of black hole it is; how big is it? Who are involved? Whom is it going to impact? Is it dangerous? From our infiltration into the local authorities, we have ascertained that they are also deep in this. However, even with such an extent of involvement by the police and prosecution, we have not yet found anything substantial to justify setting up a permanent base in Japan."

"Then how do I come into the picture- Sir?" you inquire, hesitantly settling with calling him 'Sir', rather than 'Mr', or even 'Mr Superintendent' – because that's really a mouthful.

"Just like what I have heard from Mr Tonnere, you are definitely a unique one."

That reply totally catches you off guard.

What does he mean by that? Is it good, or is it bad? Is it a compliment or is he giving you a sarcastic warning? Man, you need to step up your profiling game.

"A preliminary investigation into it would suffice, Agent."

Your heart sunk at the word preliminary. Preliminary means that you would only be scraping the top of the iceberg. Where's the fun in that? Just thinking about it makes you regret choosing Japan. And Ouran Academy? The idea of having to spend your remaining youth in high school full of brats born with golden spoons in their mouths does not sound like your cup of tea. This is definitely not the opportunity cost you had in mind when you informed the bureau of your request for temporary transfer.

It is probably due to your silence, but Mr Goldberg suddenly coughs into his fist as he pushes forward a piece of paper into your direction before revealing it to be a photograph. It is a picture of 7 teenager boys clad in school uniforms while being situated in a fancy-looking room. As the photograph enters your line of vision, you immediately push your disappointment into the back of your mind and look at your boss expectantly.

"This is the reason why we require an agent to pose as a student. A legitimate student of similar age at that. And while it might seem to you that we are exploiting your willingness to transfer with this proposal. Believe me that we never have such intention, we-no, I personally agree to bring you on board because I have seen your qualifications, I have heard about you from your supervisors.."

"..and I stand by on what I believe," you suck in a little breath after everything he said. Your shoulders also feel lighter, probably as his kind praises (if you could really say that) dispelled your lack of self-worthiness. Your smile blooms at the feeling of bubbly butterflies in your stomach.

You slightly jolt in surprise as Mr Goldberg raises from his seat across you and walks around the table in his long strides, before eventually stopping to stand behind you. As much as you'd like your eyes to follow his movement, you can't help but freeze on your spot. You KNOW he is standing right behind you and you want to turn your head around to face him, but a small voice in your mind somehow is telling you that if you still cherish your life, you should not. Okay, there gone the 5 seconds in which you had thought you would be doing just fine even with Mr Goldberg as your supervisor.

"But I also dislike being proven wrong, Agent." he suddenly whispers next to your right ear. Fear and panic consume you for a moment and you suddenly remember that chicken franchise dating simulator as the image of the old male protagonist in the game pops up into your mind out of the blue.

"Finally, loosen up. I need you to be comfortable around me since you will have to constantly report to me about the tea."

You are now officially traumatised by this whole interaction.

(っ◔◡◔)っ -⃞ A/N -⃞ 

Yo to whoever spares their precious time to read my works, thank you so much (ง ื▿ ื)ว .

I have some chapter skeletons in store, but never get to finalise them because of my ongoing thesis

[that shit should be done and over by the end of November, so bear with me _:('ཀ'」 ∠):_ ].

But I promise you, I am writing whatever I can when I do have the time to spare and when it gets draining out here in the real world.

Lastly, I hope you all don't mind with 1200~1500 words per chapter. I feel like it's a manageable size for me to work on and to fit in all the necessary build-up for the plot. Hopefully, it's also a good size for a quick meaningful read to you guys.

I wish I could direct you guys to my other ongoing work on One Piece universe, but it still only has 2 chapters (teehee), so I'm just gonna do that very subtly as of now, and hype it up on the next author's note once I have something substantial to showcase lol