[𝓉𝓌𝑜]

A month earlier.

"You're really moving away to Japan?" a sound of a male exclaimed from the laptop on your bed. You slightly winced at the loudness of his voice as you were putting your belongings away into your suitcases.

"Yes Norman, I have informed the bureau about it earlier this week," you calmly replied to Norman Tonnerre, your colleague and a fellow agent. A normal investment banker by the day, a very bright commanding officer by night; he is very well-known in the bureau as the brightest agent in his batch. His work is so neat and always calculated that despite being very young among the associates, he easily climbs the ranks in a short period of time. The two of you were not initially that close due to one circumstance and another––he is your senior and you are his junior subordinate by many years; obviously you could not have seen how it would have been possible for the both of you could ever warm up to each other without making the given situation any weirder. But you guys somehow are able to move past those and the man now enjoys assigning you to work with him on his missions. You never complain about it, either.

"What makes you so adamant about leaving this country, if you don't mind me asking?" the male on the other side of the conversation continuously questioned you. You did not mind some of the intrusive ones since he was being very polite about them anyway.

"It's not really that, but you know how I have always wanted to study overseas, get to see the other parts of the world, things like that. Now that I have earned enough to support my life somewhere else, might as well do it," you referred to the salary you make as an agent. However, you do not actually disclose your secret job to anyone you know in your real life. Not to mention, it is part of the non-disclosure policy in your workplace not to reveal whatever elements of your involvement with the bureau. It is not only for the sake of confidentiality but everyone, including you, also fully understands that it is a lot easier to protect your loved ones that way.

Nevertheless, you manage to wire a reasonable portion of your actual salary to your bank account and concocting it in a way that it looks like you earn the money from your normal-life part-time job. A server at a cosy quaint cafe in the corner of the downtown. Boy, if only they see what is underneath those rustic floorings. It is one of the gimmicks pulled by the central management of the bureau, to allow secret agents like you to hide your actual job in the guise of a normal real-life routine. There are many of these "premises" and "institutions" throughout the city and the rest of the world as well.

"Fair enough. But Japan, though..," Norman trailed off and you stopped midway of folding your clothes and finally taking a careful look at the chestnut-haired male on your screen for the first time after you had answered the sudden video call.

The male, despite having turned on his facecam, was currently looking at his other monitors and seemingly engrossed with his daytime job. However, you knew that even though he sounded indifferent, his unusual droopy shoulders said otherwise. Norman, finally noticing that the person on the other line had not yet spoken any word, turned to the screen with the call on it, and immediately taken aback at the sight of observant hued orbs staring back at him. She immediately smiled and chuckled when their eyes met.

"What is it?" the brunette smiled trying to regain his composure as he unconsciously brought his fingers to weave through his chestnut locks, but the action did not seem to prevent the heat from creeping from his necks and onto his ears. Fortunately for him, you couldn't catch that on the low-quality video feed.

"That's my line, Normie. I am just moving onto the next phase in my life, that's all. It's not like I am gone forever, chillie Normie," you retorted with the nickname that you have for your superior. He would usually get irritated when you call him that, saying 'you cheeky little bastard' at your daring remarks towards a higher-ranked officer. He never gets mad though, most likely given the times you both have spent together. Well, those stories shall be saved for another time, though.