Chapter 13: The Plot Thickens

Shadowwolf had rented a room in the town of Itenana, several miles from the Greywyn Academy. The room was located in the Dancing Dagger Inn. Most of the rooms in the small tavern were vacant, except for a few rooms currently occupied by several travelers. The room in which he stayed had a bed, a table and a chair. Shadowwolf frowned as he thought of the luxurious rooms that he had stayed in while he lived at the palace.

The tavern was dirty and overcrowded. The crowd that frequented the place was usually loud and cheerful and the food and drinks tasted delicious. The bartender who worked there was a young woman who didn't seem too happy with the men who frequented the tavern. Most of the men came to see the dancers. There was a lot of rowdiness as well as a never-ending dice game.

Shadowwolf smiled as he walked into the place and asked for a room. The woman stared at him, saying, "Why should I give you room, Shadowwolf? Do you have death wish?"

Shadowwolf said, "Well, I do have something up my sleeve..."

"And that what make you evil," said the bartender. "Now get out; the customers getting suspicious." At this, several men and women turned around and saw Shadowwolf. They all glared at him and some men pulled out knives that they had hidden in their clothes. Every so often, a bar fight would break out in the tavern and spill into the streets of Itenana. The city was generally quiet and peaceful and a fight at the tavern was exciting for the citizens living there.

Shadowwolf said to her, "Now you listen here, missy, you will not turn me away! If the king finds out that you turned me away, he'll have your head!" The woman glared at him. "Get me a room and a meal this instant!"

"Maybe I give you one if you ask nicely," said the bartender. "Now get!"

"Why thank you," Shadowwolf said mockingly. "And if you would be so nice as to give me your special this evening, I'd most certainly appreciate it."

The bartender huffed and returned to her work.

Shadowwolf found a small dark room at the top of the building. From the room, he could see the entire school. He hoped that Hunter had successfully infiltrated the school and was now mingling with the students. Yes, boy, he thought to himself as he stared at the school. The closer you get to the guardians, the closer you will get to the library. And when you get there...

He stood up and put on an elaborate costume. The costume consisted of a traditional black tunic with orange trim and a pair of pointed shoes. He wore a black cloak with dark blue accents, a crossbelt and a brimless pointed hat over his robes.

Shadowwolf took a knife and trimmed his hair until it was as ragged as his costume. He pulled off his fine boots and donned some worn leather sandals. He also grabbed a wizard's staff, a magic wand, an orb made of coral, and an emerald pendant. He said, "Well, with this wizard's disguise, they'll never suspect a thing. Who would suspect a kindly old wizard anyway? Now, let's hope that the young woman who owns this place can get me a respectable meal."

He went downstairs and saw that the place was much more crowded than it was when he first came in. He learned from the excited chatter that a famous bard was in town and would be performing at the tavern tonight. He could use this distraction to his advantage.

The woman saw him and said, "Well, are you going be respectable, wizard? I usually don't allow wizards in my tavern, but as long as you not that rude Shadowwolf, I guess it fine with me. Now, what you like for dinner?"

A moment later, Shadowwolf sat at a table dining on seared scorpion with hazelnuts, hickory, and wolfberries with a side of cooked sweet pepper, steamed sea beet and peaches. The meal was served with a piece of artichoke pie and a bowl of ginger soup. He washed it all down with Bourbon Elixir, which was a pale yellow drink with light swirls and served in a plain glass. The drink smelled like baked bread and tasted sour.