Chapter 22: The Legacy Revealed

Poppy opened her eyes.

She found herself in the infirmary, which was several feet from the library. The nurse who worked there was an older woman who had very little time for horsing around. She certainly had very little patience for students who had gotten themselves hurt after falling down the tunnels leading to the secret library.

Sister Marlene Pease shook her head as she cleaned up the children's injuries. "Out of all the students who came through the doors of this school, you three are the worst," she sighed. "How is it that you managed to survive a night in the dungeons when so many more powerful witches and wizards were found dead the next day?"

"We were in the cellar, ma'am," said Poppy.

"Indeed," said the older woman as she stood up and went to tend to Nevyn.

Dlav said to Poppy, "I don't know how you did it, but it takes most students at least three months to do what you did by pure instinct."

"And what was that?" said Poppy.

"Magic," said Salvatore as he walked into the room. Dlav and Poppy stared at him. "Most students may have had some degree of magic inside them, but as it is said, not everyone in Ostlea can learn magic. Those who can are usually sent to the other magical schools all over Ostlea. Greywyn Academy by default is one of the most recognized magical schools in the world."

"So are there any schools in Ostlea for those who...aren't magic?" said Poppy.

"There are plenty of schools for students who don't want to learn magic," said Salvatore. "However, that's not important compared to what happened last night."

"So...you knew about us and where we were?" said Dlav.

"I knew that from the empty beds and the missing keys that you children were up to something," said Salvatore. "We searched far and wide for any intruder that might have infiltrated the school. There was no one to be found, but we still had our suspicions."

"I saw Alex Frost in the library last night," said Dlav, "or rather, Poppy did. We all chased after him and that's how we ended up in the cellar."

"Indeed," said Salvatore. "I wonder what possessed that boy to go into the library, especially at night. He's not a chosen guardian, but we should restrict who can and can't go into the library when the guardians make their rounds." He stared at Poppy and said, "And I feel that I must congratulate you and Nevyn on your feat. You two have a clear idea of what you're supposed to do. Soon, we'll question Alex Frost about what he was doing in the library in the first place."

Nevyn woke up and said, "So, they're not going to punish us for sneaking around?"

"Not as long as we're doing our job as guardians," said Dlav. "And besides, we have to protect the library from anyone who tries to sneak into the library."

"And I wonder what legacy that I might have inherited from someone who might or might not be my father," said Poppy.

"Mayhaps I should tell you about your mother," said Salvatore.

"What about her mother?" said Nevyn. "Is it something that could help us know who Poppy is?"

"Remember when Sister Yictocy told you that Poppy's mother had met the prince while he was out on his journeys throughout the Earth realm?" said Dlav. "Well, the prince taught her magic, which she used to extract information from various people she met during her travels. The place she had lived in was so far removed from the rest of Earth that most people living there began using magic and teaching their children to use magic."

Poppy nodded, remembering the magical lessons that TaLuna taught her while she was still alive, then eventually learning about magic from Raul and Vic when she came to live with them. She had studied magic while in school and had magical lessons at the orphanage. With that, she knew her future in Senzacion would be based on the amount of magic she could do.