Chapter 9: Revelations

Ararenus took Rhiassa and Nevyn to the classrooms and dorms, pausing to explain everything that went on in each class. While Nevyn was experiencing pain and self-denial, Rhiassa started to think about her life. Had she remained at home, she would've been kidnapped by the gangs and brutally beaten for not joining them or even worse. She was happy that she had managed to escape from this fate.

Then she remembered that orphans also weren't allowed to attend school; they were ordered to go into the temples and serve the gods. Rhiassa wondered how she managed to keep attending school, even after becoming an orphan. She remembered being bullied by gangs as she went to and from school, as well as how she thwarted several attempted kidnappings. The other orphans were jealous of Elva, because her connection to the Shepherd family kept her from going to the temples.

Ararenus then took the children to the school library. The room was huge, with a patterned blue carpet and tall murals. The library had three floor-to-ceiling bookshelves containing thousands of books. There were tables and chairs in open spaces throughout the library.

A woman was sitting at a large table in the middle of the library. She was an intelligent vampire with large almond-shaped green eyes. She wore her night-black hair in an elegant style. She's inhumanly tall, built like an Amazon, and her skin is bronzed. She had druidic powers. She usually drank men's blood. Her outfits are that of a musician, with wild blue and green colors.

She stared at the small group as Ararenus told her, "I assure you, Vanessa, I'm not going to stake you today."

"As if you can put a piece of wood in my heart, pretty boy," said Vanessa Morvant as she smirked back at him. "So who are the children?"

"They are the new students," said Ararenus.

"I see," Vanessa said as she stared at the children. "What are their names?"

"Rhiassa Twilight and Nevyn Meler," said Ararenus. "They're here to see the library. Nothing else."

"Well, you usually don't bring the new students here until the fourth day, so why are you really here?" said Vanessa.

"Skefan claims that they're the new guardians," said Ararenus.

"Those two?" said Vanessa. "But...but this can't be! The guardians come here every 70 years!"

"It was 70 years ago today that Chasica Kip and Brummett Camwef came here, along with Dlav Geinse," said Ararenus. "So it would have to be them."

"Really?" Vanessa said as she stared at the children. "The boy is too old to attend this school and the girl is...well...she's more than what she appears to be."

"Indeed," Ararenus said as they turned around and saw Dlav coming towards them. He was sitting on the other side of the table and overheard everything. "Dlav Geinse," Ararenus said as he stared at Dlav. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in Sister Mistdream's class?"

"Sister Mistdream sent me here," said Dlav. "She wants you to come to her class and pick up two unruly Toy Pacers. They're getting restless."

"You may tell Sister Mistdream that I'm in the middle of giving a school tour to two potential students," said Ararenus. "Also, if she wants someone to take care of those tiny dogs, she should find Brother Trovald and have him do that himself. He is getting fat and lazy, and I'm tired of his behaviour and attitude."

"I saw Brother Trovald earlier, but he sent me to find you," said Dlav.

"I see," said Ararenus. "Now I must deal with them. Dlav, stay here and don't bother Sister Vanessa. Rhiassa, Nevyn, stay here and don't wander off. I will return soon." He rushed out of the library with a swish of his tail.