Chapter 25: Secrets From The Heart

Poppy, Nevyn, and Dlav made their way to the Great Hall, where the other students were dining on baked acorn noodles with sweet chestnut and cauliflower on a bed of steamed ogonori and chokeberries. The meal was served with fried eggs, guava pie, feta cheese, and sea grape soup.

Everyone turned to stare at the three guardians who had survived a night in the dungeons and the earthquake that followed. No one would have considered that an orphaned girl who used magic to hide herself from roaming gangs and a boy who was too old to be a guardian would prove themselves as actual guardians of Greywyn Academy.

"All right, people, stop gawking like you've never seen them before and go back to your meals," said Peter as he drew Poppy, Nevyn, and Dlav away from the students and towards the guardian's section. Everyone groaned and reluctantly went back to their seats. As soon as everyone was seated, Peter said to them, "We usually don't air out our deeds to the school, as the Secret Library Guardians are a secret group. But we are still part of the school."

"Why not?" said Nevyn.

"We are the Secret Library Guardians," said Peter sternly, "and as such, we can't go showing off. This is something we need to take seriously."

Nevyn paled as Poppy and Dlav glared at Peter. Poppy wanted to protest, but she knew that Peter was right. She had not been taking her duties as a Secret Library Guardian seriously.

But then again, when did she take anything seriously?

Peter escorted them to their table and told a goblin to bring their plates. Dlav said, "Well, I don't see why we can't be allowed to bask in our glory. After all, we survived the night in the dungeons, which is more than we can say about them."

"But you heard what he said," Nevyn began to say, but Dlav interrupted him.

"Please," said Dlav. "The guardians don't know what it's like to put themselves in danger. Or maybe Chas and Brummet do. Yet, we need to always be on the lookout for any spies who might try to infiltrate the school. You'll never know if any evil wizards might show up."

"Or Shadowwolf," Poppy chimed in.

"And what about that strange boy who we saw in the tunnels," said Nevyn. The others stared at him blankly. "Why was he in the tunnel to begin with?"

Just then, the food arrived, along with a pitcher of Mystery Tea and three mugs. The drink was light brown with bubbles and an apple slice on the edge of the glass. The drink smells somewhat like baking bread and tastes really good.

Dlav saw the drinks and said, "Well, well, I see that even the goblins treat us better than the guardians. I suppose it was pure luck that we managed to survive, didn't we?"

"Now let's not celebrate just yet," said Poppy as she began passing out the food and drinks. "We still need to know what's up with Alex Frost and how and why he ended up in the tunnels. "If anything, he might know what's going on and why we're hearing rumors about Shadowwolf."

"I hope he's well enough to help us," said Nevyn. "If anything, he might have some insight into the strange new world that we're now living in."

"Maybe," Dlav said as they began to eat their meal.

* * * * *

Meanwhile, in the school's infirmary, Rhiassa stared at the strange boy resting in bed. The boy was staring ahead, his gold eyes not focusing on anything or anyone. It was as if he had lost the will to live along with his identity.

The boy formerly known as Hunter Shadowknight/Alex Frost knew that his future was compromised. It happened the minute that he fell down the tunnels and into the dungeons.