Chapter 8 ~ More Than a Little Crazy

They didn’t show up for two weeks after that and Anzu refused to talk to me anymore. My life seemed to fall apart as soon as it had come together. I couldn’t help feeling like it was all my fault.

  “Come on Yugi, you have to cheer up.” Tristan said and waved his new videogame in front of me, “I’ll let you win.”

  “No thanks…” I mumbled, hugging my legs.

  “It’s gotta be a coincidence, they can’t just skip a week of school just because they don’t wanna see ya.” Joey stated.

  I shook my head, “No…but maybe they switched schools?”

  “They can’t hate you that much, I mean c’mon, Cassie was datin’ ya and Yami…”

  “Just say it, Joey. He kissed me.” I said bitterly, looking away.

  “Well…yeah…” Joey smiled nervously.

  “Who would’ve known that Anzu would be right.” Tristan laughed.

  I rolled my eyes. Joey and Tristan had constantly come over after school to comfort me, but so far I had found no solace in their efforts. They left eventually, after another failed attempt to get me to do anything at all.

  It was 7am another Sunday morning a week after this.

  On the off chance that I would run into Yami again like I did the day I met him, I decided to take a walk. Maybe he would even use a lame pick up line on me again.

  I walked to the end of the block and waited for a while. After what felt like forever, I decided to walk to the arcade in case he’d be there for some reason. He wasn’t. I even went to get pizza and wait there for a while, but he still failed to show up. I gave up and started heading back. Maybe I really had scared them both away and they really had switched schools or something because they could no longer stand the sight of me.

  I decided to go home and put the puzzle back together. It was silly to blame a little Egyptian artifact; all the myths were never real. It was all just a happy coincidence and I ruined it.

  The satisfying click came as I pushed the last piece with the decorated Egyptian eye in its place. Just after, I heard the bell on the door downstairs ring.

  “I’ve got it, grandpa!” I shouted, hurrying down the steps and behind the counter, “Hello, looking for anything?” I asked, smiling so fakely that it made my eyes close.

  “You could say that.” I heard Yami say.

  I dropped the smile and ran around the counter and hugged him, “I’m so sorry for everything.” I cried into his chest.

  He chuckled, “No, it’s alright. I was just too nervous to see you, so I pretended to be sick…I’m the one who should be sorry, you’re with Cassie, I shouldn’t have…you know, kissed you.”

   I let go of him and took a step back, “Well I was the one who kissed you back.” I admitted quietly.

  “Huh…” He muttered under his breath, and then spoke up, “You did, didn’t you?”

  “I did…”

  We both went quiet and looked away from each other. Yami took a deep breath and spoke quietly, “So what does that mean?”

  “I don’t know.”

  “Have you talked to Cassie about it?”

  “I haven’t gotten the chance too, she’s been gone too.” I explained. I felt like it was a bit more than a coincidence that Yami had showed up right after I put the puzzle back together, but I brushed it off for the time being.