Chapter 6 ~ Unrequited

Anzu's P.O.v.

  She hadn't really made any small talk since we got to the mall, it mostly consisted of being dragged into stores with clothes I could never hope to afford. She bought me whatever I liked, though, and seemed to have an endless amount of money. I couldn't help but assume her family was rich. I didn't like to accept others paying for my things, but she insisted.

  After filling our arms with bags, she bought us icecream so we could sit and relax for a while.

  "How can you afford all of this?"

  She seemed a bit embarrased, "Well my father owns the American division of Kaiba Corp."

  "So how come you moved here?" I felt like I was intruding, but I wouldn't make her tell me if she didn't want to.

  "Well my parents got divorced, and my mom always wanted to live here. I get the money from my dad because its his way of saying he still loves me, I guess." She shrugged, "But that's how he always showed us that he loved us, he wasn't really around and my mom finally had enough of feeling so lonely."

  "Oh...I'm so sorry."

  "No, I'm sorry, I think I made a big mistake."

  "What mistake?" I asked, dreading the answer.

  She swallowed a spoonful of her icecream, "I just...I don't know. It'll make you hate me, and I was really hoping to be friends with you and the guys."

  I paused, "Is it about Yugi?"

  "It's silly, we've only been dating for a week, I can't possibly decide anything at this point yet."

  "What do you mean?"

  "I just...this sounds so mean but I'm just kind of bored already. I'm disappointing so many people, you and your friends, Yugi, my dad..." She sighed.

  "What does your father have anything to do with it?"

  "Well, Yugi's the one my dad wanted me to end up with. Good publicity and all that, especially since Yugi's such a great guy. My dad's made a habit of making all my dreams for me, telling me that marrying Yugi would be the best way my future could ever possibly turn out..." She was starting to cry.

  "Come on, you can do so much, you don't have to be stuck to Yugi if you don't love him."

  A couple tears ran down her cheek, "I need to. I mean, we had a great first date, doesn't that mean we'll have more great memories? Maybe it's just taking its time...but he's such a nerd." She laughed with a sob, "I don't mean it in a mean way; I've just never been interested in video games and that sort of thing."

  "I feel the same." I stated and smiled apologetically, "You don't have to stay with him. It won't make us hate you, I promise. Just let him down gently."

  She shook her head, "You don't understand." We sat there silently while she tried to calm down and wipe the tears from her eyes. She turned to me when her breathing was steady, "I want to go home."

  "Alright."

--

Yugi's P.O.V.

  Yami caught up to me on the way to school, "Yugi!"

  I smiled, "Hey." I was in a good mood, excited to see Cassie again. I hoped that Anzu and she had a good time at the mall yesterday.

  "So, how are things with you and Cassie? Did she come over yesterday?" He asked.

  I shook my head, "She went to the mall with Anzu."

  "Oh, right." He said, "Oh, I've been meaning to ask you, when are we going to have that duel?"

  "After school today, if you want. I'm going to ask Callie to come over though..."

  "Do you want me to leave you two alone?" He teased.

  "No, it's fine. I think it'll be fun." I rolled my eyes.

  "Alright, if you're sure."

  "I'm sure, Yami."

  "Hey Yugi, hey Yami." Cassie greeted us at the front gate of the school. She seemed a bit off, she didn't jump on me like she usually did.

  “Hey!” I waved back and she ran up and hugged me tightly, “Hey, are you ok?”

  “Yeah, I just...I missed you yesterday.” She smiled and pecked me on the lips.

  I laughed, “Yeah, me too.”

  “Oh get a room.” Joey teased and pulled me from her, giving me a noogie.

  “Quit it!” I laughed. He laughed too, but obliged. Everyone erupted in conversation about their weekends except for Anzu. She stayed off to the side and I wondered why.

  The bell rang after a while. Cassie held my hand on the way to home room and stopped me before the door, “Yugi?”

  “Yeah?” I asked. She didn’t seem at all as happily or bubbly today as I’d gotten to know her to be. There was definitely something wrong.

  “I...” She shook ehr head, “Never mind.”

  “What’s wrong? You can tell me, you know. You don’t have to hide it.”

  She shook her head, “You don’t understand.”

  “What?”

  “I just...I wanted to say...”

  “Come on, what is it? We don’t want to be late.”

  She smiled weakly and finally spat it out, “I really wanted to tell you I love you.”

  The least I can say is that I blushed. It was all moving so fast but it felt so natural with her. I grabbed the sides of her face and kissed her in the heat of the moment and when I pulled back she giggled, eyes sparkling. I turned even redder, “I love you too.”

  The second bell rang and we both hurried inside and to our seats. Luckily, the teacher came into the room late as well so she hadn’t been there to notice. I couldn’t stop smiling for the life of me. I was flustered to pass notes and she must’ve been too, but I looked forward to spending time with her after school, hopefully today.

  I had to go to the bathroom before lunch so I let Cassie go on ahead to the courtyard before I caught up to her. When I got there, she was talking with Anzu and immediately stopped when she saw me, giving me a smile. Anzu quickly looked away from us. Maybe Anzu really did like me, and in that case I felt a bit bad but I couldn’t help myself with Cassie. She was perfect in every possible way.

  “Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to come over after school?” I asked, sitting down next to her.

  “Oh, I have to go home today, so I’ll have to say no.” Cassie said, “I’m so sorry.”

  “It’s alright.” I smiled, though I was a bit disappointed.

  “Yugi!” Yami called out to me, “Yo, Yugi!”

  Cassie giggled a little, “Go ahead over there; me and Anzu were talking about girl stuff over here anyway.”

  “Okay.” I said and uncertainly kissed her before heading over to see what Yami’s shouting was all about, “What’s up?”

  “We still good for a duel after school?” Yami asked.

  “Yeah, I guess Cassie has to go home today anyway.”

  “That’s too bad.” Yami smiled sympathetically, “Guess it’ll just just be you and me, huh cutie?”

  I rolled my eyes, “Quit calling me cutie, that’s the reason my friends had the wrong idea about us when they first met you.”

  He laughed, “As you wish.”