Chapter 15 ~ Early Bird

I woke up beside a warm body. His breathing was steady and calm, contrasting my clamminess upon awaking. It was still dark outside, and looking at the clock it was about three in the morning. I had a nightmare.

  My nightmare consisted of Cassie, turning into some horrible creature and swallowing Yami whole. I lay awake for a while, unable to get the image out of my head. Never in my life had I really wished for someone to just go away or to die, but Cassie just…frightened me. I wanted her gone and I wanted Yami to stay, more than anything.

  I started to cry and Yami’s arms tightened around me. They were warm and strong and safe and for some reason it just made me cry more. I whispered his name and he didn’t reply. He was probably still asleep, just sensing my distress in a dream he was probably having. I wondered if he was having a nightmare too.

  I pulled out from his grip and rolled over to look at him and let him hold me again. He seemed to be very cuddly in his sleep, he was definitely very pretty. Despite the lack of tan, it was apparent that he was Egyptian with the way that his eyes were shaped and the shape of his nose. Looking him over, I understood why no one really mistook us for one another, without taking into account our height difference. His hair was different too, his blonde was dustier and ran through his spikes, and the violet was more intense.

  His eyes suddenly fluttered open, tiredly. I was greeted by two bold, violet irises and a sleepy smile. I smiled back, and then realized there were still tears in my eyes when his smile lowered to a frown.

  “Are you alright?” He asked.

  I shook my head, “Yeah…just worried, and I had a nightmare.”

  “Yeah…me too.” He yawned and stretched out. I couldn’t help watching how his biceps flexed as he stiffened and stretched. He was also definitely better-built than me.

  He rolled onto his back and I shyly scooted closer to him again and rested my head on his chest. It was still so strange that everything came so naturally around him.

  He gently ran his fingers through my hair, “You shouldn’t worry, Yugi. Whatever happens is going to happen and there’s nothing we can do now. I’m not going to school with you, I have to get everything ready for tomorrow, but I’ll be there right after, alright?”

  I nodded and yawned. Yami chuckled.

  “Now get back to sleep cutie.” He cooed and kissed my forehead before I felt his muscles relax and he seemed to sink into the mattress. It was incredibly comfy and my eyelids were suddenly anchors, pulling me back down into a sea of comfort and sleep.

~

  My alarm went off and I sleepily reached out to turn it off. Yami was already gone. I tried not to worry too much and got up and got ready for school. Walking to school alone had never felt so lonely before.

  Everyone was normal when I got to school. They asked where Yami was, but didn’t think of it as anything when I said he was “sick.” I hated lying to them, but how exactly am I ever supposed to explain that Yami’s a pharaoh from ancient Egypt and Cassie was an evil Goddess and we had to kill her?

  I was just glad they never asked me about Cassie and let things go the way they had been going. Anzu and Joey were too busy with the awkwardness of their newfound relationship and I think Tristen was preoccupied with trying to seek one out. I was glad everyone seemed happy, though. Hopefully Yami’s plan would work and nothing would go wrong.

  In class I couldn’t stop thinking that we were going to kill someone. In the normal world, that sort of thing is illegal, so what would be the aftermath? If she’s a goddess, would her body just disappear into thin air? Would her body just remain there, uninhabited, for the authorities to find our fingerprints all over? I shook the thought out of my mind. Yami had to be smart enough to have precautions for afterward, or at least I hoped so. Imagining Cassie, lifeless on the floor, was making me sick to my stomach anyway.