Chapter 3 ~ Cutiepies

Yami must’ve spent hours looking through individual cards, because it was already dark by the time he bought his finished deck. He yawned, placing the cards in a holder and onto his belt, “I guess we’ll have to save that duel for some other time, won’t we?”

  “Oh, you’re leaving?” I asked over my Gameboy.

  “Yeah, I’m calling it a night.” He stretched his arms and I almost found myself staring. He was so much more muscular than me, I was jealous. Girls would definitely like me if I was more like him. I felt a little bitter as I watched him walk out.

  “I like your new friend, he really cares about his cards.” Grandpa remarked once Yami was out the door.

  “Yeah, whatever.” I replied, returning my attention back to my game.

  “He could make a fine young man out of you.”

  “Huh?”

  “Oh, nothing.”

~

  “So when are you planning on asking him out?” Anzu asked, joining up with me on my walk to school.

  “What gives you the idea I even like him?”

  “Oh come on, you don’t have to be shy. He obviously likes you anyway.” She stated.

  I shook my head, “No, he’s just trying to help me get with this cute girl I met a few days ago…” I felt butterflies in my stomach just from thinking about her.

  “Oh, really?” She asked, seeming a bit hurt. Even if she liked me like Yami hinted that she did, why would she be so keen on setting me and Yami up?

  “Yeah, she sits behind me in homeroom, she’s the new student.” I explained.

  “Oh, you mean Cassie? She’s alright, I guess.”

  “You know her?” I asked eagerly.

  “Yeah, well, I mean, we have math together. She’s clumsy and always apologizing for everything, you know?” Anzu laughed slightly, “I don’t think she does very well in school.”

  “I think she’s really cute.” I said, and chanced a question, “Do you like anyone?”

  She turned red and looked away, “Well, kinda, I don’t think he’s noticed yet, though.”

  “Who?”

  “Well…someone you know.” She said, still refusing to look at me and instead looking straight ahead. I decided not to push the subject any further, maybe Yami really was right.

  “Wait up guys!” Speak of the devil. Yami came up and nudged me with his elbow, “You’re gonna talk to her today, right?”

  I sighed, “Do I have to?”

  “Communication is key.” Yami shrugged, “Don’t be shy, I mean you already exchanged a moment, don’t slow down now. Get to know her a little more.” He went on like this and Anzu just remained silent for the rest of the walk.

~

  She looked really cute in the school uniform when I walked into class. She had ginger hair tied up in a bun and freckles across her face to the tips of her ears, and big, green eyes from what I could catch at a glance. She definitely hadn’t been a local from Japan, which made it a lot easier to strike up conversation with her.

  “Hey, Cassie, right?” I asked as other students were getting seated.

  “Yeah, I’m still really sorry.”