Chapter 8

The door opened and then closed again.  

"Yes?" I said dryly. 

"What's a matter Lan?" A familiar voice said, and I knew who exactly it was. I sat up in my bed, and looked over at Laura.  

"I'm sick." I lied.  

She turned her head a bit sideways then raised her eyebrow. "Really? You're going to lie to me?"  

"I'm not lying tho." I coughed.  

"Landen I've always been there for you. I know when you're sick, mad, happy, angry, sad. I can read you like a book." She gave me a sad grin. "So do you want to tell me what's wrong."  

I put my head down looking at my bed. "I don't know if I'm ready yet." I sighed.  

Laura walked over to the bed and sat down next me. "Ready for what?" She asked so innocently.  

"It's difficult." I breathed.  

"Landen, you know I will always be here for you. You know if you need a shoulder to cry on I'm here, if you need a hug, or even an ear. I am here." She said patting my leg.  

"I know, it's just difficult for me." I started tearing up.  

"I have never seen you like this, I know something happened, and I don't like seeing you like this. Just talk. You will feel better."  

I looked up at her and a tear fell like rain off my face. With just that one tear several more started sliding down my cheeks.  

"Are you ready to talk?" She asked.  

I took a big gulp in. "Laura I'm gay."  

Laura chuckled a little bit. "Duh, I already knew that?"  

"How?" I sniffled.  

"Landen, really? You haven't dated a girl since like the first grade, you never make any kind of manly contact with girls, and I've seen you eyeball guys." She shrugged.  

I gave her a sad look.  

"But I still love you like a bro even though you like boys." She continued. 

"I know you would." 

"Then why didn't you tell me?"  

"I just didn't want anybody to really know yet." 

"Does anybody else?"  

"Ian." 

"You told him first and not me?" She defensively said.  

"I didn't tell him because I wanted to, he knew."  

"How did he know? He's an idiot." She laughed. It made me chuckle a little too. 

"He kinda saw something. Ultimately that's what's bothering me."  

"What did he see?" 

I slightly shrugged my shoulder and started moving my lips around.  

"Landen don't quit now. You would tell me you're gay, you can do this."  

I blinked and tears came flying out at the thoughts. "He saw Brett and I making out at the party."  

She clapped her hands lightly. "Way to go, got yourself a man." 

I sat up on the bed placing my back against the head board, and my hands on my lap. "No I didn't score myself a man. If you didn't see today he is cooing away with April."  

"Oh that's what that was about at lunch." 

"I told him I needed to talk to him the other night and we did, and he told me it was a mistake that it happened he was drunk and it was dumb, then today he comes in dating her." I cried out, speaking so fast that my tongue was tripping over the words.  

"Oh baby." Laura pouted hugging me. She started rubbing my hair. "Look, if he said all of that he doesn't deserve you. You are a great and wonderful person that will meet somebody who won't think anything that happens between you two is a mistake."  

I started crying more. I was practically a mess now. It sounds nasty, but I had snot coming from my nose, my face was all wet from tears, my eyes were bloodshot. 

"Just focus on someone and something better. I promise everything will fall into place how it's suppose to happen." She half smiled at me. 

I blew my nose and looked up at her. "Thank you."  

"Anything for you dear." She smiled at me.  

I wrapped my hands around her and gave her a big hug. 

"I'm going to go now and let you get some sleep. You going to be okay?" She asked me.  

I nodded my head. "Yeah I should be fine now."  

She rubbed my head and gave me one last hug before leaving my room and my house. She was right. I needed to get over Brett. He was straight and with a girl. He would never be into me, and I just needed to come to terms with that. I stayed in my bed thinking of everything Laura has said to me, until I eventually fell asleep which I don't remember doing.  

The next day in English we had to draw a new cover for our book, which would let us know something big from the story that we have already read. "I'll go get the paper." I said peppy getting up to go get the paper.  

I grabbed a long piece of paper and walked back to the table. I sat down so we could get started. "You seem better today, what was wrong?' Brett asked me.  

Those words made me cringe. He really had the nerve to ask me what was wrong. I wanted to slap him for being so oblivious over the whole matter, but I didn't I kept my face on because I was moving on.  

"Oh nothing. Just got sick, but we should really get this done so nothing happens between us." I spit out angrily.  

After realizing what I had just said my mouth formed a little o shape. I could just see the hurt in his eyes from my words.  

"Anyways, what part from the book should we do?" I asked him.  

He was still staring at me. "Landen." 

"We only have so long to get this done, what part should we do?" I avoided meeting his gaze.  

"Forgot about that for a second." He sounded hurt.  

"It's worth a lot of points so we better make it really good."  

"Please just answer me."  

"Yeah I'll go get the colored pencils." I said jumping out of my chair and running to the front of the classroom to grab the colored pencils. I turned my head around, but not to around to be noticed and looked at Brett. He was slumped in his chair and he looked really hurt. I was happy he felt hurt. He hurt me really bad. 

The rest of the class we just sat there and worked on our project. He didn't try bringing anything else up except it. He was being really dull after me getting up. I didn't want to be mean, but being mean was the only way I felt like I was going to get over him.

Over there is Laura. Wasn't she really helpful in this chapter?