Chapter 35

Chapter Thirty-Five

Sunsets are really pretty.

   All the different colors all mixing together to make a picture perfect image. But I wouldn’t know would I? Why I wouldn’t know, you might ask. I wouldn’t know because sitting through this really boring interrogation with Mr. Ron. He knows I’m really bored, and he tried to keep things interesting. It isn’t working. He’s been required by Logan’s dad to test how much I remember. I see the last few rays out of the window, but I can’t see the full picture.

   “Alright, I’m thoroughly satisfied that you have regained your memories back completely.” He says loudly so everyone listening behind some wall can tell that the interrogation is over. “But between you and me, I was satisfied before we started this whole process.” He whispers and winks at me. He gestures to me that I’m free to go. I practically run out the door, nearly running into a few maids who mutter apologies and curtsy repetitively. Normally I would tell them that there was no need, but I was so happy to get out of that interrogation room, I didn’t bother. I turn down the hallway and run smack dab into Logan, who’s just now coming out of some room where they could watch my questioning. He catches me before I can fall down and bust my butt.

“We should really stop meeting like this.” I say.

“You’re the one who can’t watch where she’s going.” He replies snootily.

   “Jacobs! That is the princess; you will treat her with the respect required! Apologize now!” Director barks out, he’s a really scary dude. He and Logan have really similar features: black hair, tall and muscular build. The Director is much taller though, and I’m talking six foot six, six foot seven. It’s kind of ridiculous. They look really alike in the face too, they have the same noses and cheekbones, but they’re completely different in the eyes. While Logan’s are a beautiful blue, like volts of lightning, the Director’s eyes are dark brown, really similar to Chase’s. Logan abruptly let’s go of my waist, realizing the compromising position. I start to say that there was no need to apologize, but Logan cuts me off.

“No, Princess, he’s right. I’m sorry I spoke to you in such a way, I shouldn’t have. Please forgive me.”He looks down at the ground like he’s ashamed.

   “There’s nothing to forgive, Logan.” I reply, desperately trying to escape without any drama. “Come on, I want to go to the beach.” And with that, I turn and sprint down the hallway and up the stairs, Logan hot on my heels. My shoes are kicked off in my room, and Logan and I head down to the beach, but not before I grab his present from under my bed. I grab Logan’s hoodie and fold it around his gift, already wrapped in golden paper.

 “What’cha got there?” Logan asks, pointing to the bundle in my arms.

“My favorite hoodie.” I say lifting the bundle up so he can see, but the gift falls out and onto the carpeted floor. He bends down and picks it up.

“And what would this be?” He asks. I mentally face palm, He wasn’t supposed to get his present until later, down at the beach.

“You weren’t supposed to find that until later. I guess you should open it now, then.” I tell him.

“You mean this is for me?” He seems bewildered.

“Well, today is your birthday, isn’t it?”

   “I… I just can’t believe that someone actually remembered, let alone got me something.” He’s so amazed that I can’t help but sympathize with him. Mr. Ron has been the only one to get me presents for years, so I understand how he feels.   

“You’re eighteen today, you need something. Even something as crappy as what’s under all that paper.”

   “Let’s go in your room, pretend like you forgot something. The cameras just moved to watch us.” Shoot, I forgot about the cameras. I pretend like I lost my phone and we go into my room. We sit down on my bed and he starts taking the paper off gently, like he’d afraid he’s doing something wrong, or like he’s going to break something. His face lights up when he sees The Lord of the Rings boxed set.