Chapter 30

Chapter Thirty

“I knew this was too big to be a safe house!”

   Those were the first words out of my mouth. Granted, most normal people would have asked questions first, but I think we’ve already established that I am not normal, by any standards. Logan just chuckled at my statement. I sat up and he sat on the bed, facing me. This is when I finally thought of a million questions. Why was I here the night of the accident? Why did I spend so much time here rather than at the Palace, I mean weren’t princesses supposed to live in palaces? Why hadn’t anyone cleaned up in here, I obviously wasn’t much of a cleaner when I was eight, either? Those were the first questions, but definitely not the only ones. They were running through my mind and I realized that my mind wasn’t being helpful and supplying answers. So I turned on Logan. I attacked my poor boyfriend with all these questions. He held his hands up in a motion to tell me to slow down.

“One question at a time, if you please. Mr. Ron knows more than I do, but I’ll explain everything I know, over lunch. You’re probably hungry, plus it’s almost noon.”

“I thought you said it only took an hour to drive here!” I said shocked. We had left pretty early; at least I think we did.

   “It did. We didn’t eat breakfast until nine-thirty, an hour to drive up and get dressed, and then we’ve toured the house for another hour.” Okay, maybe we didn’t leave so early. What? I never claimed to have a good sense of time.

“Okay, what’s on the menu?” I asked. Now that he mentioned it, I was pretty hungry. I’d only eaten a few bites of my eggs this morning.

   “Whatever you want, Mel. You’re the princess, which means you can get anything you want. Tell me, and I’ll tell the chef. All the staff here knows you’re the princess, just in case you were wondering. But they’re all CSS agents, or their families, so they won’t tell anyone.” Okay, good. That meant that no one was supposed to come and try to find me and kill me because I’m a princess.

   I thought about what I wanted to eat. I hadn’t eaten pizza in what felt like forever. I know that I probably won’t be able to eat a whole slice, but it still sounded delicious. I told Logan that I wanted a pepperoni pizza. I thought that he would go downstairs and talk to the chef, but he just walked over to a golden plate on the wall beside my desk, pushed a white button and repeated my order.

“I have a direct line to the kitchen?” I ask in amazement.

“Kitchen, head of housekeeping, groundskeeper, pretty much anyone you could possibly need to talk to.”

“Wow.” That’s all I can say.

“Yeah, wow. The pizza will be here in a few minutes.” Logan tells me.

“Perfect.

   We just lay on my bed until we hear the knock on the door. Logan gets up and takes the pizza from the boy standing in my doorway with a tray of soda, pizza, and plates. This boy might just be my new favorite person in the world, just don’t tell Logan that. Logan thanks the boy, closes the door, and sets the tray in between us on the bed.

“Okay, we have food, spill.” I look at him expectantly, and shove a slice of pizza in my mouth.

   “No one’s touched the room since the accident; it was left as a kind of a museum. The room was cleaned up when we decided you would be coming here, but other than making the bed and picking up a few toys, this is how you left it. Your family would spend the spring and summer here. The fall and winter were spent at the Celestian Palace. As far as I know, this has been your room forever. It has the best view of the whole building.  That’s as much as I know, Mr. Ron knows more. I can call him up here if you want.”