Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

Logan

   I turn to look back at Melody before I walk down the stairs. She stands in the door of the music room, grinning like a crazy person. I’m fine with that, she’s my crazy person. I walk up to my dorm and put on running clothes. I pull out my phone to check for any new mission objectives, thankfully there aren’t any. I call the Director on my secure phone to update him on the mission progress.

“Sir, she’s in the music room with Mr. Ron.”

“Good and she still has no clue who she really is?” The deep voice at the other end asks.

“No sir, she doesn’t know who she is at all. She thinks that she’s just a normal girl with a tragic past.” I say.

“Good, make sure it stays that way. Is the music room secure?”

“It is, there are only seven people allowed on campus. She’s with Mr. Ron, they are going over music. He’ll take care of her while I go for a run.”

   “Okay, make sure you keep pretending to be in love with her, it will make your job easier, son” My father (a.k.a the Director) ends the call and I slump back in my seat. If only I were still acting, it would make the end of this mission a lot easier and her a lot safer. I’m supposed to be pretending to be in love with her, and her boyfriend so I can watch over and protect her better. It’s not acting anymore, I really do love her. I don’t think she’ll take it well when she finds out that we aren’t allowed to be together. I know I haven’t been dealing with it well. I walk outside and start my run, still thinking.

   I was sent to this school so that way I could be Mel’s bodyguard, only she wasn’t allowed to know that because it would have led to questions she isn’t ready for the answers to. All I was told when I was assigned this mission, is that she is a very important person, she doesn’t know she’s important, it needs to stay that way, and that nothing is allowed to her. I figured out who she actually was after I heard the story of the car accident. I never knew who it was I saved that day, until Mel told me about her past. That was when everything clicked. That was when I realized who she was; I also realized that Mel was the girl I saved all those years ago.

   My father and I had been walking in the forest behind our house at sunrise when we stumbled on the car. My dad, being the Director of CSS, knew the car immediately, and went to try and save Mel’s parents. He told me to see who was screaming in the backseat. I opened the door and eight-year-old Melody had looked at me like I was her hero, she looked so scared when I first opened the door. I had picked her up and pulled her out of the car; then she closed her eyes and passed out. I laid her on the ground while my dad called for an ambulance, and back-up. I just held her hand until the paramedics loaded her into the back of an ambulance. She’d had bruises and scrapes all over her, her blond curls had stuck out in every direction, and she had a big cut on her calf that was bleeding a lot, but other than that she seemed fine. That’s when I found out what my dad actually did for a living, and when I began training as a secret agent for the CSS.

   I’d become a top agent, and since I looked like I could still be going to school, they decided I should become close to her; that way I could protect her better. I had asked Mel to be my girlfriend, entirely without the CSS knowing beforehand. It had been a complete spur of the moment question, because I really wanted her to be my girlfriend. Luckily, I didn’t get in trouble; everyone thought it was a great plan. No one thought that I actually had feelings for Mel. Not even when I said the three most dangerous words a secret agent can ever say. I don’t know what I’m going to do when she finds out who she is, and who I am, and that we aren’t allowed to engage in any sort of relationship. It hurts me physically just thinking about it.

   I’ve thought so much that before I know it I’m already back in front of my dorm building, and the moon is high in the sky, several hours after I left. I walk up to my room and unlock the door. When I walk in there is a laptop sitting on my bed, I know it isn’t mine and it wasn’t there when I left. I walk over to it carefully, looking around for any sort of trap. I sit down on my bed and flip the laptop’s screen up. The screen lights up with a link of some sort. I click on the link, which leads to a video. I press the ‘play’ button and the video starts.

   Mel is kneeling in the center of the shot; she has her hands chained out to her sides and a greenish purple bruise on the side of her face. Her top lip is split and a little blood trickles down her face. She looks confused and tired, like she just woke up. Her blond curls fall messily around her face. There is a man dressed in black behind her, the shot only shows up to his chest. The man steps forward a little and says, “Logan Jacobs, we have Melody Datonalo in our possession. We will continue to torture and question her about your occupation as a secret agent, and any other information we deem necessary, regardless of if she knows this information or not. We will continue this until you bring us the file containing the override code so we have complete access to all of CSS’s information. You will also bring us the name and location of the missing Princess of Celestia. If you do not meet our demands, poor little Melody here will pay the price.” He says, his voice disguised. He lifts up Mel’s chin so that she’s looking directly at the camera.

   “Logan, if you do I will personally boil you in oil!” Mel shouts. The man swears and says to her, “I told you to keep your pretty, little mouth shut.” He pulls a horse whip from behind him and starts to whip her with it. I watch in helpless horror as Mel screams at each lash. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, then he stops and runs his hand down the whip, wiping Mel’s blood off of it, a decent-sized puddle of it appearing on the stone floor at his feet. He curls the whip and puts it in his back pocket, Mel whimpering below him; he can’t see her face, but I can and she’s mouthing the word ‘don’t’ to me while shaking her head, tears flowing down her face. “She’ll get much worse than that if she doesn’t behave. If you don’t meet our demands, I’m afraid you won’t see little Melody again. Don’t worry, we’ll take good care of her, she looks like she’ll be loadsof fun.  We’ll be in your homeland, bring us our Christmas gift within a week and we’ll give you your gift.” He says gesturing at Melody, whose still sending me a silent message when the screen goes to a black slide that says, ‘Hope you like your temporary present. Look on your coffee table. ;)’

   I run over to my coffee table and see Mel’s locket, the Celestian Royal Family seal gleaming, sitting on the table. The clasp is broken, like it was yanked from her neck, which it probably was. I pick it up and clasp it in my hand, it’s cold which indicates that she has been gone for a while. I silently vow to get Melody back safe, no matter what I have to do. I pick up my secure cell phone and relay the entire message to the Director. In under an hour I have a helicopter waiting in the courtyard for me, to take me to my homeland of Celestia, where Melody is as well.

*************************************************************************************

Did you like my surprise, well surprises? Was anyone expecting that? What did you think of Logan’s POV; that was the original surprise? Please vote a comment, all positive things.

Smile, it increases your face value.