Chapter 3

May 26, 2162, Canada Wilderness Camp.
We built a nice little camp haven't seen to many zombies, bloody fanged felines, or flesh hounds lately, but I know it won't last it's to good to be true. I myself think so anyway. I'm sure one of those rotten, decaying, mutant, pieces of flesh, are going to wander to camp tonight! That's why I'm going to sleep with my AK. I think this is that last night that we're staying here. In the morning I think we're heading out. Jack found a little cabin and they found 3 cans of sweet corn still mostly in tact. That's what we had for dinner and man it was heavenly.
Gertrude

I woke up this morning feeling the lack of food. "Judging by the sun I'd say it's early maybe 5:00 AM," I say to myself, "I'm going for a walk," So I walked over to the fire and I attempted to make some smoke so I could get back. Then I started walking North about 7 minutes when I heard some music. I see a shack and I approach it carefully. I stab a zombie with my butcher knife and take a radio, a box of 22 pistol ammo, and a sword that is hung on the wall. I walk back to camp and I am instantly greeted by Joe loudly.

"Gertrude! where the hell did you go!?" Joe questioned.

"I...I.. went for a walk, and I found a shack," I say casually.

"Where is this shack?" Joe sounds less angry.

"Its North about 7 minutes on foot," I say.

"Great! let's go Jack," Joe says and they leave going north.

*** Flash Back***

February 2161

"Gertrude, since I went to dinner with you, you have to go hunting with me," Nathaniel says.

"Haha no problem I love hunting!" I say.

"I know you do but no using your AK," says Nate.

"What?! why?!" I say shocked.

"Because AKs are not for hunting silly and besides you have to learn to use other guns too," Nathaniel tells me.

"Really like what?" I ask.

"Hmmm like the M4, the SKS, the D.E." Nathaniel says.

"Okay, awesome I'm always up for a lesson on guns from my boyfriend," I say and kiss him quick.

*** End of Flash Back***

"Hello? Earth to Gertrude," I hear Lily say.

"What sorry I must have..." I trail off, "Where the hell did you find that?" I asked Joe who was sitting on a truck.

"I found it in a town a few minutes past that shack you found. So what are we waiting for let's go," Joe says I get in the truck and we drive north.

There it is a town just like he said. Not much there, a gas station mostly empty, a small super market all ready raided, no food in it but yet it gives us some hope. There was dust, but also what looked like fresh foot prints. It seemed odd at first but if we all survived then maybe someone else has too.

"Look guys! At the end of the street! Is that a bunker?" Lily asks.

"No but definitely a fortified something or another," I say.

"Let's go check it out!" Bob says.

And we do. There's no door but there's some mechanical thingy that we're not sure how to work.

"Hello? Is anyone inside? Another survivor? Please come out," Bertha calls.

Nothing. Wait there's a noise! And the mechanics start working! I cautiously put my gun up just in case. The door opens slowly and we can't see anyone.

"Hello?" My voice cracks.

There's a low moaning sound. And then almost like a whisper. "Go away,"

"Please we want to help," I say.

"Leave me alone," a now clear male voice speaks. And with that he throws us a box of ammo and a can of beans. "Take this and please go,"

"No. Sir please come out. I won't leave till you do,"

Slowly a face appears around the corner and then a body, or part of one. "It looks worse then it is..." he says referring to the chunk of flesh missing from his leg and smaller one missing from his side. "Beasts. They're all beasts! No brains. No hearts. They're relentless!" He yells. "That's why I built this here bunker,"

"Told you it was a bunker," Lilly murmurs.

"We're looking for the source of all this and for safety. You could come with us, please come with us," I plead.

"No I can't I won't I can't leave I ju-" he falls over dead. And then a loud scream comes from behind the door.

"What the hell is that thing!?" Chris yells and we all turn and run a good 50 feet and turn around and look at the 350 pound beast running straight for us.

"Everyone shoot it!" Joe yells but there's no need to tell us to save ourselves. We all unload clip after clip on this mutant and it finally doubles over after a mistaken shot to the nuts.

"Why didn't anyone think of that before? Nice shot by the way Taylor," I say.

"Thanks, lets go raid that place now," she says and we all agree.