Chapter 8

June 4, 2162, Quebec, Canada, town.
Well yesterday I found a toddler, Todd. He is so cute. He only has a few teeth and Scott says he's probably around the age of 1 1/2. We're in a town so I think I'm going to go look for some supplies and things for Todd. He's still wearing a gross soiled diaper and I'm sure he has bad diaper rash. Quebec is quite big so there has to be some supplies around here.

Gertrude

"Joe I'm going to go look for some stuff around the town," I say casually.

"Okay Gertrude, but I want someone to go with you," Joe says. "Peter! Go with Gertrude please,"

"Joe I'm not a baby. I can go alone, and besides I won't be completely alone I have Todd," I plead with my eyes.

"Gertrude you are not taking Todd with you. You already have a sore arm and you don't need a ball and chain so just leave him with us," Joe reaches out to take Todd from me.

"A ball and chain? Real nice Joe real nice." I pull Todd away from his reach and I turn my back to him. "I'm taking him and there's nothing you can do about it,"

"Fine. Gertrude, if you're taking Todd you're taking Peter with you," Joe says sternly.

"Fine," I mumble, "C'mon Todd lets go," I start walking.

We set off on foot walking in and out of little shops, finding a decent things here and there, I found a clothing store but there wasn't much in it. A sewing store, I took some thread and needles. We went into a grocery store and didn't see anything at all. We did hit a jackpot in the pharmacy store though. I found many bottles of ibuprofen and an actual sling for my arm! Also we found bottled water, and I can't believe it but we found diaper rash cream. I definitely didn't think we'd find anything that useful but we did.

"Gertrude, sunset is soon we need to be getting back," Peter informs me.

"Just one last store please," I beg.

"Fine, one more," he says reluctantly.

We walk in and I look on shelves, nothing but broken glass and trinkets. I walk behind the register and Peter taps his fingers on the counter top impatiently.

"Alright let's go there is nothing here for us," Peter says.

"Wait!" I plead, "This could be a door to a warehouse let's just have a look," I open the door and look around. I see five wooden crates in a messy stack. I kick one and it breaks open.

"Are those t-shirts?" Peter asks.

"Looks like it to me, now help me open the rest," I say.

The second crate contains some rotten fruit and a lot of fruit flies. The third crate has rope, but it's useless cause the mice have chewed up most of it. In the third crate we find some chicken feed. The forth crate holds some toys. Barbie dolls, G.I. Joes, and Hot Wheels cars. Finally Peter brakes the last crate. I'm a little surprised to find that it contains candy, and not just any candy, but candy that hasn't been opened and is still in the packages.

"Wow, Peter could you hold Todd for a minute?" I say and hand Todd to Peter. I open my backpack and stuff as many t-shirts and candy as I can in it.

"Why are you taking the t-shirts?" Peter asks.

"I can cut them up and make diapers for Todd. His pants are not good anymore," I reply and take Todd from Peter. "Alright Todd pick out a few toys okay? I don't want you getting too bored of me," I smile at him and put him down next to the pile. Todd looks around and grabs a G.I. Joe. He waves his arms at me and then throws it across the room. "You know what I'll just grab some for you," I say with a chuckle and I take a G.I. Joe and two Hot wheels.

"I think he's done Gertrude," Peter says.

"Alrighty miss Gertrude, let's get back to Joe and the others," Peter walks out into the street. We walk back in silence, except for Todd who is giggling and babbling. I walk in the direction of where we had set up camp. Looking around all our stuff is gone and there's no one around.
"Peter where have they all gone? Have they left us to die? No, they couldn't have," I whisper.