Chapter 5

June 1, 2162, camp at mountain
Well so far our trip to find safety has been very unsuccessful. We will be climbing up a mountain today. I hope we can see more of what's going on from way up there. We need hope, even just a sliver, a clue to what's happening, anything.

Gertrude

"Gertrude, are you ready to go yet?" Joe teases.

"Yes sir!" I reply, "You seem happy today,"

"That's cause I am. Now let's get climbing," he says.

We start out climbing slow, and then gradually start to climb faster as we get closer to the top. There's a generally smooth path, I was surprised but very thankful for the semi easy climb. We only stopped for some short breaks along the way, to get used to the thinner air. When we got to the top we all were shocked to find out that there was zombies. I knew that there would be a few, but not this many.

I started to lift my AK, but just then a fast zombie, probably the fastest zombie I'd ever seen, ran at me. I had no idea how close to the edge I was, but that question was answered pretty quick when I fell and landed on my right arm.

"Joe! Jack! Someone?!" I yelled throbbing in pain. "I've got to get back up there somehow," I say aloud hoping someone would hear me, although I knew no one could over the gunshots. Eventually the gunfire stopped and I listened for a moment, just to see if they knew I was gone.

"Lieutenant! Where has Gertrude run off to?" I hear Joe speak. My gosh he treats me like some kid. I decided to answer his question.

"Joe! I'm down here!" I yell again.

"What are you down there? We could have used your help up here. Lieutenant, give me the rope please," Joe says and then ties a knot at the end and lowers it down. I grab the knot with my left hand and held tightly to the rope.

"Scott, could you take a look at Gertrude? She might be hurt, it was quite aways down that she fell," Joe says and Scott grabs my arm.

"Oww!" I moan in pain.

"Gertrude, You've only twisted your right arm," Scott says, and then he makes me a makeshift sling for my arm. "It'll get better in a few weeks."

"Thanks," I mumble cause I'm dissatisfied. "Great, just great, now how am I supposed to shoot my AK?"

"You can shoot the revolver, Gertrude, it's not the end of the world," Joe says obviously trying to make me feel better.

"But Joe, I don't think I can shoot left handed," I say, "but I guess I can try. Jack could you please hand me the revolver?" I finish off a mag and then sigh, "It will have to do for now,"

"Alright, let's set up camp cause that was a lot of work and we need time to assess our situation. Gertrude! Here," Joe says handing me a bottle of aspirin. "I was saving them but you need them more then I need to save them. There's only one bottle so use sparingly,"

"Thanks this should help dull the pain. Goodnight Joe," I yawn and head to my tent.

**** flash back****

"You look silly on crutches babe," I giggle poking fun at Nate.

"I'd like to see you try, it's not easy having a broken leg you know," he sighs. "This is gonna put me out of work for a while"

"No worries luv, we'll be okay," I smile and hug him and kisses his cheek. "Let's get you in bed to rest a little okay?"

"Fine but I refuse for you to keep me there. I will be up and about and there's nothing you can do about it got it?" He laughs and so do I.

"Way to ruin my master plan!" I say.

****end flashback****

Reality pulls me back when I turn over and am struck by the pain in my arm. Now I know how you felt Nathaniel. I miss you so much...