Lycan Pass - Chapter 25

I'm so sorry for the delay! My English 175, Government, and Psychology classes have me writing essays non-stop, and it's been sucking me dry of my writing mojo like I'm a juice box ;A; So I made myself finish this chapter in English since we had a substitute. Hope you like it!

_____________

      A light growling noise stirred me from my rest. Trevor sat in the chair next to my bed, snoring peacefully. I smiled at his sleeping form and reached out to grab his hand, making sure it wasn't just a happy dream. His hand was warm and solid in mine. Home... a voice breezed through my mind. I was safe. I was in a place with people that I knew and trusted. Warm beams of sunlight filtered through the window and illuminated the white walls. Yes, home...

      The door creaked and a hesitant head popped through. I immediately recognized the brown peppered with grey hair and the round spectacles as John's, but the rest of him was a complete stranger. He seemed haggard. He looked thinner and had bags beneath his eyes, and had a thick scruff growing on his chin.

      "Are you awake?" he asked tentatively. His voice cracked.

      "I'm awake."

      "How are you doing?" John stood tensely at the doorway, as if something were holding him back.

      "A lot better than I was a few hours ago, thanks."

      "Are you taking any visitors?"

      "Uhh... Sure, I suppose."

      "Good. Trevor, get the window."

      Trevor jumped into motion, and I realized that he had been faking sleep. He ran to open the window. John flung the door open wide. They both yelled "she's awake!" and as if on cue, an ensemble of worried and relieved voices called my name, welcoming me home. People rushed into my room, crowding my bedside, showering me with flowers and get-well cards. John's mother even brought me rabbit stew that was still piping hot. Tears swarmed my eyes.

      "Why?" I croaked. "Why are you so nice to me? I ran away. I've caused you trouble."

      "Because you're one of us now," John answered. "We're family, and that means that we don't give up on one another, even if you are kind of stubborn."

      "Kind of?" Trevor retorted. I laughed, feeling the happiest I had in day.

      "There's also the fact that you faced Icarus and lived. That's no small feat," said a voice in the crowd. There was a murmur of agreement. I blushed.

      "It's not like I escaped. I just woke up and Trevor was carrying me away."

      "Still, it's that fact that you lived that's huge."

      They stayed in my room for a little while longer as I told them my story. Some gasped, some made sympathetic noises. The worst part was telling them how much I had trusted Icarus. I felt a hot wave of shame and anger whenever I said his name, loathing him for everything he was. I showed them the scar from where he had stuck the needle in, again and again. Trevor gripped tight to the bed sheets, veins popping up in his arms. He looked homicidal. I touched his arm lightly, a signal to calm down. He released the blanket an gave me a sad smile.

      After my tale was done, John shooed my visitors away. He checked my IV drip, pulse and blood pressure.

      "How are you doing?"

      "As best as I can." I hesitated. "John?"

      "Yes?"

      "Icarus stole my form." He paused.

      "I know." John took my hand. "I know." He buried himself in busywork for a while before coming to a rest again. "Ana, we need to put you in self defense classes." That shocked me.

      "What?"

      "We now know that Icarus is in the vicinity, and that he is aware of your presence. I don't mean to frighten you, but he may come after you again. You need to be ready for that." I swallowed the lump in my throat.

      "Why? He already has what he wanted."

      "Who knows what's behind a lunatic's motives?" Trevor growled. "All we know if that we have to brace ourselves, and that me you too." I stared at him for a while before nodding my head in agreement. I wanted to believe that Icarus was gone for good, but I knew better than to be so foolish. We all breathed a sigh, releasing the tension between us. John straightened his glasses and looked directly at me.

      "Before we even think about getting started, we need to talk about your little habit of running away." I blushed deeply, but then he turned his attention to Trevor. "We also need to clear the air."

      An uncomfortable silence filled the room. Trevor looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here. John waited expectantly, looking between the two of us. Someone had to talk sooner or later, right? I braced myself and met Trevor's eyes.

      "Why did you do it?"

      "What do you-?"

      "Why did you run into my bus? Didn't you see us? Hear us? Why didn't you stop?" My voice started getting louder and louder, as did the sound of the blood rushing through my head. John placed a hand on my arm, but I pulled away. "Why?!" I yelled.

      "I'm sorry! I didn't-"

      "Trevor, stop," John intervened. "What happened is... it was my fault."

      "Excuse me?"

      "Icarus was spotted on our territory, and so I sent Trevor out after him. He had Icarus in his sights and was chasing him. Trevor didn't know your bus was there. He was just trying to catch that monster." I paused and looked at Trevor.

      "Is this true?" He nodded solemnly. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. I realized, looking back, that I had been a jerk to Trevor. I didn't even give him a real chance to explain before I ran off.

      "I'm sorry," I said to both of them. "And especially to you, Trevor. I should have stayed and listened." He took my hand in his and kissed it tenderly. The locket at my throat grew warm and bright. It reflected in Trevor's eyes. Within them I saw the wreck, and how he had wept at my bedside when he was sure that I would die. I saw him awkwardly looking through dresses, trying to find one for my naming ceremony. I saw him all alone in our secret place up the river, howling with grief and rage after I had left. I brought my hand up to gently touch his cheek and ignored the images in his eyes, wanting to replace them with happier memories.

      John cleared his throat, reminding us that he was still here. I jumped a little, but Trevor acted as if he hadn't heard a thing.

      "Well," John said, "you need your rest. Tomorrow marks the beginning of your new heavy duty training. Marilynn will be there as well."

      "Why is that?"

      "Because we are going to work to combine your Sight and fighting skills so that you have the upper hand in a fight."

      "Oh..."

      John pulled Trevor from the room and left me to ponder what tomorrow would bring.

_____________

If I ran away, would you bring me soup? :)

Probably not, huh? Oh well! If you would be so kind, leave your comments and questions below so that I may read and feel an inner warmth of happiness that someone actually reads my story! I love you guys!

~BittySpyder