Lycan Pass - Chapter 9

I tugged on my jacket and converse, sneaking out of my room while most were still asleep. I tried being as silent as possible as I navigated the white hallways, not wanting to wake anyone. If they woke up and found me right now, I knew exactly what they would be thinking. I slipped into one of the bathrooms as a man rounded they corner, waiting until his footsteps disappeared. After what seemed to be an hour, I finally reached the front door unnoticed. Grinning, I stepped out into the biting air. It always seemed frosty here, but I didn't mind.

       I followed the path that Trevor and I had taken, soon finding a nice spot in the forest. I knelt down on all fours. Relaxing as the transformation took over, I was pleasantly surprised that it took my less time to change than it had before. I waved my tail happily and stuck my nose to the ground, inhaling hard. A rabbit had just passed through here minutes ago. Gearing myself to go,  followed the scent.

       The rabbit must have heard me coming, because it released an over powering fear-scent. I picked up the pace, fully intending on catching my own breakfast. A flash of brown and black streaked by me, and the chase was on. I hurtled after it, swiftly dodging trees and thick brambles in my pursuit. My heart pounded in my chest, and the sheer exhilaration of it all would have made me laugh if I wasn't so focused. The prey flew around a tree and I was hot on it's tail. Leaning my snout forward a little bit, I gently caught one of it's back legs, pinned it beneath my paw, and finished the creature painlessly. I sat there, panting and grinning to myself. John would be proud.

       Just then, another scent caught my attention. A fox scent mingled with a human's. I found the direction the scent came from and trained my eyes on it.

       "I know you're in there, you can come out now," I said. A throaty laugh echoed behind the bushes and a silver fox stepped out.

       "That was quite a catch, youngling," his silky voice purred. "I'm sure it was no mistake that you came here."

       "What do you mean?" He shook his head laughingly.

       "Never mind, youngling." He paused and stared critically at me. The fox turned away from me with a wave of his tail. "I suppose I will see you in later times. Call on me should you ever need my assistance."

       "Wait! Sir! What's your name?" He looked back at me.

       "Just call me Wilson." And with that, he disappeared once more.

       My head spun in confusion, but I quickly shook it off. I was in a secluded area with little access to the outside world, I couldn't expect everyone to be sane. I turned my attention back to the rabbit and gripped it in my mouth. Navigation back to the Facility was a bit harder to do as I had no clue where I had come from and I had my prey's scent clogging up my nose. I did make it back eventually, but more people were now awake.

       Hurrying, I made my way to the cafeteria. They only people there were the chefs, the lady who handed out the trays, and a lone man sitting in the corner. I changed before I entered and held the rabbit in my hands. As I made my way to the tray-lady, a was hit with a sudden bout of embarrassment. Was I really bringing them a dead rabbit to cook for me? I was contemplating changing back to a wolf and eating the rabbit whole when the lady called me over.

       My face was hot with shame as I shuffled over to her. She smiled cheerfully at me and gasped in surprise when she saw the rabbit. I gulped. Here it comes. This lady is going to call me a freak and spread the news all over the town. 'Did you hear about the new girl? She brought a DEAD RABBIT with her? How weird can you get?' But any reprimand I had been expecting never came. She called the chefs over to show them my catch. The lady looked up at me.

       "That is quite the excellent catch you have there! Would you mind too much... oh, never mind," she said sullenly.

       "No, go ahead. What was it you were asking?"

       "I was just wondering if you would allow the chefs to take the rabbit and make stew of it for dinner tonight?" A wave of relief and happiness washed over me.

       "Of course! It's all yours!" The lady smiled excitedly.

       "Fantastic! Rabbit stew has always been John's favorite, even when he was a kid!"

       "Really?"

       "She would know," added a chef who stood behind the counter. "She is his mother after all." My eyes widened and I immediately shook her hand.

       "I'm Diane Fellow," I greeted.

       "Marcy Devrance," she replied. I was soon introduced to all of the kitchen staff. Buddy, Elaine, and Duke were the cooks, and Even was the janitor. When I mentioned how much Elaine and Even looked alike, they admitted to being brother and sister before looking away from each other. Marcy explained that they were in the middle of a conflict, but she wouldn't say what it was about. I waved to them all before I left the cafeteria.

       I walked into my room, completely satisfied with myself before my stomach dropped. I had been gone longer than I thought, because on my bed sat Trevor, his mouth set in a hard line. His eyes bored into mine as he growled, "Where have you been?" I inhaled shakily and tried to settle myself. No way was I going to let him keep intimidating me.

       "I went for a walk," I responded coolly. He grimaced even more.

       "Where?"

       "Why is it any of your business?" I retorted. He surged forward and gripped onto my arm.

       "Where were you?" he said more forcefully. I gritted my teeth again the pain.

       "In the forest." His hands moved to hold onto both of my shoulders.

       "Don't you ever, ever go out into that forest unless John or I are with you!" he said, shaking me roughly. I finally snapped.

       "Why? What could possibly be so dangerous that I have to have you protect me from it? Why do you even care?!" I screamed. Something inside him broke, his grip went slack, his eyes dulled, and he didn't even seem to see me anymore. He pushed me aside forcefully.

       "I don't." He bolted from the room, leaving me shaking and alone.