forty-five.

SEPTEMBER 3rd, 1991, SEATTLE, WA

REAGAN WOULD HAVE never guessed that she'd be spending one of her treasured days off from work shopping for a dormitory that she herself did not live in, but then again, her life was constantly taking her by surprise. And even without the element of surprise involved, the ordeal was to be expected when she had a younger sister who needed help perfecting her new living space.

In truth, Reagan was charmed that Kate had selected her over anyone else to go decor shopping with. Although Kate had been moved into her dorm for a few weeks, she was still sprucing up the place and making it more fit to her own aesthetic. She shared the room with another girl but for Kate, it was still like getting her very own room for the first time.

Reagan had never feared losing her bond with her sister upon Kate's move to college, but it was admittedly relieving to still be an avid participant in Kate's life. Reagan had a hunch that Kimberly was offended by Kate's lack of offer to help her prepare for school and  shop for things; little did their mother know that Reagan had been assigned to assist in all these tasks.

Even though Richard and Kimberly had made the drive to Seattle to help Kate officially move in, it had been Reagan who had made weekly visits to ensure Kate was adjusting well. In that time, she'd stayed at Dave's empty apartment, braving the commute from Olympia to Seattle on her select days off. She was thankful that Tommy seemed to understand that Kate needed her. Maybe that was why she'd been recently lucky in getting time away from work.

With Dave touring overseas, this had left Reagan with even more opportunity to dote on Kate. Whenever Kimberly had demanded to know why Reagan was abandoning her responsibilities at home, Reagan had breezily answered that it was all for Kate's sake. Kimberly could hardly argue against that, not when Reagan was technically still putting in effort to help the family even if it was from a city away.

To keep her company, Chris had joined Reagan on several of the trips up to Seattle to check in on Kate. The three of them had gone out once, ushering Kate into the world of bars and underage drinking. As morally strict as Kate was, it had been hilarious for Chris and Reagan to watch her join them in rounds of beer shared over loud music.

Dave had arrived home right at the start of September from the Netherlands, still riding on the high of the recent tour. Reagan had been more than happy to have him back, especially since it meant that he would be waiting for her at his usually vacant apartment once she was routinely done visiting Kate.

It had undeniably been some of the better weeks of Reagan's life. Kate getting older only meant that she understood Reagan even more. It felt like they could finally be real adults together, though Kate was the one with the surefire chance to make something of herself. Reagan on the other had never felt more condemned to Wilson's in all her life as she watched her sister study for college classes and pick a major. But she was happy for Kate, happy and proud that she was succeeding in what she'd always dreamed of doing.

Kate had been a great listener through it all too. She was still a steadfast supporter of Dave and Reagan's relationship and made that known to Reagan whenever she visited. She was sure to always lend an ear to Reagan venting about missing Dave or reminiscing on particularly sweet things he'd said to her. If Reagan ever tried to avoid the subject, Kate would demand that she reveal all the best secrets about her relationship. "Girl talk," she'd once called it. Reagan in turn had labeled it as "interrogation."

"Reags!"

Kate's call across the aisle of the department store they were in snagged Reagan's attention away from the throw rugs she'd been eyeing. She looked up to see her sister charging towards her carrying a lilac colored pillow.