twenty-four.

REAGAN WAS IN a desperate rush as she punched in her time ticket at the Wilson's employee clock out station. She muttered under her breath as she forced the ticket back out and into her hands, practically bouncing up and down with impatience.

"Come on, come on!" she seethed, tugging the paper out of the machine.

Tommy had ventured back inside from the garage, his own time ticket in hand and a curious expression on his face. He watched Reagan whip around and snatch her bag, bolting for the front door. Her hair was falling loose out of her braid, giving her an even more maddened appearance.

"Got some big trick-or-treating plans there, Reags?" Tommy asked conversationally.

"It's for RaeLynn and Kody," she explained, cursing as she dropped her work vest from its draped place over her arm. "Kate and I take them trick-or-treating every year as a favor to our parents, but Kate's got a party to go to and now they're waiting for me."

Tommy glanced out the window. The sun hung low in the sky on that Halloween evening, but it was hardly prime trick-or-treating hours yet. Most kids around town typically spilled into the streets, candy bags in hand once it was dark outside.

Reading his mind, Reagan hitched her bag higher up on her shoulder and balled up her work vest in her hand.

"It's the twins, Tommy. They've got a bedtime, remember? We always do things earlier around my house."

"Right. I forgot. Well, have fun."

She nodded a thank-you in his direction before speed-walking out to her car. Of all the occasions that she was willing to miss with her family, this particular Halloween was not one of them. The twins were finally old enough to comprehend what trick-or-treating was, and better yet, they had picked their own costumes.

Reagan pulled recklessly up to her driveway and hustled out of her car to the front door, completely out of breath as she jangled her keys in her hand. When she pushed her way inside of the house, she was relieved to see her siblings standing in the hallway awaiting her arrival.

"Oh, thank God," Kate sighed. "I thought you weren't coming. They're already pitching fits."

Reagan looked her sister up and down, observing her choice of costume. It was a little more risqué than the clothing that she was used to seeing Kate in, but if the outfit had made it past Richard and Kimberly, then there was really nothing to be said. And besides, Reagan held the opinion that Kate needed to let loose anyways.

"What are you supposed to be? A fortune teller?" Reagan asked, setting her things down.

"A pirate," Kate glared. "Isn't it obvious?" She adjusted her off the shoulder top, a white tunic with long sleeves, before messing with the red bandana tied around her head.

"Wait, are you actually wearing heeled boots? Are you sure you aren't going stripping?" Reagan said mockingly, gasping at Kate's footwear.

Kate smacked Reagan on the backside of her head, a bold move considering Reagan's strength over her sister — Kate was quite petite. Before she could twist Kate's arm into an old-fashioned Indian burn, RaeLynn squealed at their feet.

"Oh my goodness, look at you!" Reagan grinned, squatting down beside the twins. RaeLynn donned a bumblebee outfit complete with sparkly wings, and Kody was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Reagan giggled at her little brother, peering through his mask.

"RaeLynn won't keep the wings on, so watch out. She says they're itchy," Kate advised.

"Itchy!" RaeLynn parroted. She reached for her bumblebee wings, but Reagan swatted her hand away.