Chapter nine

Chapter nine

Adelaide

We rode until the sun was on the horizon before stopping to make camp, which thankfully didn't take long. We made a small fire and set up a few sleeping areas while our horses were near the banks. Hunter had wandered off a while ago, probably going out for food, I didn't know. As soon as we finished camp and Hugh was cooking some fresh fish we caught in the stream, Lukas volunteered to begin helping me but I think he just seemed eager to beat me up.

Starting with hand to hand combat, I was faster and able to move out of his way when I needed to, but when he got hand on me, he would throw me to the ground and really did damage.

And he couldn't have been happier.

He finally got a hold of me for the fifth time and threw me, slamming my back into a nearby tree, causing it to shake and leaves to fall. I landed with a cry before becoming enraged with how easily it was for him.

I took off the ground and run straight for him, using my momentum I aimed for his waist and tackled him to the ground. He landed with a hard grunt and I quickly straddled him before throwing down on hard punch. My fist connected well with his cheekbone and in one hit, he was knocked out. His eyes rolled back into his head and before I could throw another one, Hugh was hovering over me catching both my fists.

I looked at him and he sighed, "C'mon let's hope you've not broken your hand." He pulled me off Lukas who was snoring extremely loud and walked me over to the lake. He was so gentle with me, every touch was light as a feather. He put my hand into the lake and I winced at the skin that had peeled back from the punch. Moving my fingers in the water, I winced a little before trying to clench my fist. It wasn't extremely painful, but enough to make me uncomfortable.

"A fracture..." He murmured as he dipped his hands in the water, closing his eyes. I sighed wishing I hadn't let my anger get the better of me.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have-" I stopped mid-sentence because suddenly I saw a small light coming from the water. I looked down to see Hugh's hands glowing through the water. I looked at him to see his eyes were closed in concentration as he moved his hands over to my hurt one. My hand felt suddenly warm as his hands made contact with me and first it was hot but then the pain soothed away and suddenly I couldn't feel it at all. The light went away and Hugh slowly opened his eyes, blinking a couple of times.

"How did you..." I breathed and he looked at me confused.

"How did I do what?" He asked carefully turning over my hand, "How does it feel? Are you in a lot of pain?"

"Hugh I'm not in any pain anymore, look." I took my hand out of the water and began wiggling my fingers and clenching my fist.

"Oh maybe not a fracture then." He laughed before getting up and offering me a hand. I took it but when we went to move, I held him where we were my eyebrow raised in confusion. "What?" He asked and I widened in shock.

"What do you mean what? You just healed me. I thought you weren't a witch." I asked and his eyes went wide, like he'd seen a ghost.

"I'm not a witch, I couldn't have healed you."

"Well you did, a light came from your hands and your eyes were closed and you made my hand go really warm and then the pain went away." He looked at the water, his eyes darting all around it, looking for an explanation. "Do you seriously not remember?"

"Of course not, I'm not a witch. I can't heal people, like I wished I could because then I could help you but I can't and now..." he shock his head and I pulled him into a hug.