Chapter four

Chapter four

Adelaide

Walking to court with Alice and Eva by my side, I always feel a lot more empowered than I would if I was alone. Today Eva had suggested I wear something red and eye drawing as soon as I had told them about what happened with Hugh.

She had dressed me in beautiful blood red gown, that had long sleeves with gold inside. The top of the dress stopped at my shoulders, exposing a little bit of cleavage and my collarbones. The dress was corseted at the back and the whole dress had dark red patterns on it. There was a small train and the sleeves would drag if I wasn't careful. After yesterdays event, Alice and Eva didn't question me when I put on my leather belt with my sheath and sword. Along with my lion sigil necklace and my house cloak, I felt empowered.

I had sent Alice and Eva off this morning, while I waited for my hair to dry, to Hugh's room to prepare him and get him ready. When they came back they had told me that he seemed disappointed and that he kept asking questions about me. It had made me giddy until I'd heard the church bells ring twice.

The church bells were a signal to the people that there would be court today and if needed they were allowed to attend. If the church bells ring continuously it usually means a marriage but if the church bells ring five times, it signals death.

I had told Eva to tell him I would meet him before to help him get ready but he had refused the offer, saying he would meet me in outside the throne room. I'm not to fuss on about where we meet, but so long as I see him before he goes in I'll be fine. He wouldn't be allowed to wear his clothes he came on, they would have had clothes given to him and Eva had said he looked uncomfortable.

Everyone was piling in so I waited at the top of the stairs, waiting for them to clear the entrance to the throne room. Alice and Eva gossiped behind me as I watched all the commoners rush through, all buzzing about being in the palace.

It's so strange, most of them have been here a million times and yet every time they come here, there is such a look of wonder on their faces. The palace is grand and it is impressive but once you've seen it once and twice, surely the shock would wear off.

In the crowd I saw the old man who hid me in his inn when I was running from Wimark. He looked to be dressed in his best clothes and his hat was in his hands, his eyes staring in awe of the paintings. His wife stood next to him clutching onto his arm as she looked at the guards suspiciously, I'm sure because of their weapons on them. He looked in my direction and I smiled and waved at him. His cheeks went red and his eyes immediately looked at his hands. I chuckled before turning to Alice and Eva.

"-So now she has to decide on whether or not she'll stay with her husband or run off with the poet." Alice finished and Eva shook her head, her hands knitted together against her stomach.

As always my handmaidens wore simple yet elegant dresses, only deemed fit for royals but since I didn't want them I gave them to girls to wear for court or special occasions. Eva was wearing a simple light purple corseted dress while Alice, always outrageous, wore a midnight blue dress that showed cleavage and was very flattering for her curvy figure. Already when we were walking I could see the guards all checking her out, seeing lust in their eyes. Alice once said to me that she felt liberated when guys look at her like that. It makes her feel beautiful as well, which can never hurt to feel.

As both girls gossiped about whoever they were talking about, I watched as all the people piled into the throne room. Many people who noticed me waved, others would look away as if not to make contact with me. When I was younger I never understood why people bow to me when I'd run passed them, or why someone would always test my food before I ate it. Now I don't even notice it though, but it still didn't matter. It confused me and sad. If I wanted to play with the servants children, who would run around the courtyard, playing with wooden swords and shields, and when I'd run over to join them they would look awkwardly at each other and run away, saying that they were sorry.