Chapter five

Chapter five

Adelaide

I paced my room in front of the fire, my stomach turning and I felt like vomit was sitting in the back of my throat. My handmaidens, Eva and Alice were sitting on the chairs near the fire, watching me as I walked up and down and again and again.

After Hugh had asked permission to enter the tournament, I knew he was mad. He was insane, he was delusional, he was stupid! My father immediately dismissed everyone in the court except for Hugh and even though I protested, saying that he was under my protection I was escorted out by Bartholomeus and was told to wait in my room. I had waited for what had felt like forever, receiving no news and even if I dared to go venture out for it, Wimark and Nigel were guarding my door. And after the embarrassment of being out chased by a girl, Wimark was not speaking to me and Nigel followed his lead.

"Eva I cannot believe you!" I muttered again, still shocked at her behaviour. Not only did she teach him how to behave during court, not only did she dress him for court but when he asked how marriage worked for royals, for me, she explained to him how it worked. And when he went further to ask how to enter the games, she told him exactly what to do.

She looked so ashamed of herself and I almost caved and hugged her. But I didn't because I was too edgy, I was too far gone to turn back. I needed to know.

I stormed to the door and banged on it, screaming for Wimark and Nigel, to tell me something, anything. They remained silent and I growled in frustration.

"Think of it this way, Adelaide." Alice tried to comfort me when I went back to pacing by the fire, "At least you know his interested." She wiggled her eyebrows and I stopped.

"Alice I don't care that he's interested in me and if I did, I would want him to tell me. That stunt is pretty much exactly like that sleaze ball Sterling pulled on me and it makes my stomach turn. I get what he wanted to do but I don't want him to be like the guys in the Capital, I want him to be a Child of the Forest. It makes me sick to think he thought that would woo me." I sighed and both Alice and Eva looked away from me. I sat on the carpet, looking into the fire as my thoughts ran wild.

Since everything had happen, I'd thought about Hugh asking about joining in the tournament but I hadn't really thought of the reason why until Alice mentioned it before. He was interested in me. He wanted to marry me. I suddenly felt weak in the knees and am glad I sat down. As the fire danced, I continued to think of Hugh, running my fingers through his chocolate brown hair, his gorgeous baby blue eyes and his rough stubble. I imagined him holding me close to him, his arms wrapped around my waist while my hands went to his back, his big strong muscly back and I thought about kissing him. Imagined him leaning in slowly, his lips pressing against mine and my legs squeezed together at the thought of him doing so much more. My heart was racing and my breathing was uneven.

Suddenly the door burst open and Wimark came in. I jumped to my feet as did Eva and Alice. Wimark looked behind him and nodded his head forward and there he was. Hugh stood there, unharmed and whole.

"You have been requested to meet in the Small Council room." Wimark announced and I didn't care.

"Leave us for a moment." I mumbled, my eyes never leaving Hugh's eyes and he didn't look away either.

"M'lady, you have been summoned-"

"I heard you the first time I understand, just give me five minutes." He nodded and walked outside. I turned to Eva and Alice and they nodded before walking outside as well. When the doors were shut we stayed where we were, not moving to each other.

"Hi." Was all he said and I ran to him. I ran and jumped up into his waiting arms, my arms wrapped his while his snaked around my waist, pressing me against him. I held him there for a moment before pulling back, my hand going to his cheek. My thumb rubbed circles into his cheek, my eyes searching his.