University!

Chapter 13

The few weeks to follow were very quiet, the first term for the university was only a week away and the boys had been told they were not allowed to visit one another.

"Distance." Kane said over the telephone to Jarryd, "Is what mum says we need. She says that if we're away from each other then we will grow apart, and will want to only be friends."
"I think your mum is wrong to be perfectly honest." Jarryd said, "All it does to me is make me want you more."

"Who are you talking to up there darling?" Tracy shouted up to Jarryd.
"No one!" He called back.
"Is that Kane?" she asked, "I've asked you not to talk to him!"
"It's not Kane mum! It's a friend from the open day at the uni! Chill out!"

"Okay darling, well dinner will be ready soon so please come down when you can."

"Fine!" he called down, sighing and throwing himself backwards onto his bed.

Jarryd kept looking over to his phone after the conversation with Kane, wondering if Kane felt the same way he did about the organized separation.

Kane too was lying on his back, staring at the ceiling, pondering about the very same thing, in the reverse.

Watching life pass them by, the two boys spent the next week until the university term started in their rooms, in absolute silence, no words were shared with either boy's parents.

As the first day of university finally approached and was only hours away, each of the two young men found themselves at a complete dilemma, what they should wear, black or white shirts, blue or grey sweatshirts, and what kind of trousers should they wear, jeans? Joggy pants? Smart trousers? All seemed forgotten about the conflict with their mother's, almost at least. The two each hopped into their own showers, washed themselves and could feel the water run down their bodies, removing the dirt and replacing it with the fresh start of what university was going to be.

************************************************************

The young men found themselves standing at the gate to the huge graystone building, which appeared to be centuries old. As they walked through the gates, each felt a surge of energy bolt through their bodies.

The minutes that passed as they stood in silent awe, prolonging stares at the incredible building in front of the pair somewhat quicker than expected. The two stood there until they were rudely shoved passed by a girl in grey skinny jeans and a leather jacket, her hair was long and blonde flowing from side to side as she strutted through the foreground of the University.
"Excuse you!" Kane called out to the girl. However she didn't acknowledge his remark and continues striding passed the grassy patch and through the large wooden doors which marked the grand entrance to the exquisite building.

"I guess not." Jarryd said as he shrugged, lugging his satchel bag from one shoulder to the other, beginning to walk towards the university doors. Kane followed, huffing at how offended he was from the girl's behaviour. Little did he know the pair would be getting to know the girl a lot more over the year.
"What's your first class?" Kane asked Jarryd as he looked over his notes.
"Advanced mathematics." He told his friend.
"Funny, I thought it would have ended at high school. Oh ignorance is bliss isn't it?" Kane chuckled as he continued looking through his notes. "Looks like we're headed the same direction." He finished.

Kane escorted Jarryd to his maths class and continued down the hall to get to his first lecture of the year.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, I am Professor McNabb." The lecturer introduced himself. "I thought for today, instead of heading straight to the curriculum, I would get us all participating in an icebreaking activity to get you guys going for the year ahead. After all, you are going to need to rely on one another for the set course work."
Everybody in the lecture hall groaned, rolled their eyes, and sat back in their seats as they were hushed by Pf. McNabb.
"How about you start us off young lady?" He said, beckoning a girl in the front row. It was the girl who had shoved through Jarryd and Kane at the entrance, only twenty minutes before.
"Whatever." She said, sighing and standing up. "What do I need to do?"
"Well, young lady, why don't you start by telling us your name, what you're studying here and what kind of strengths and weaknesses you feel you have." Pf. McNabb said.