FIVE-Eagles & Enchantments

Chapter - Five | Eagles and Enchantments

October 10th, 2014.
White Oak Hall,
Woodford.
•Nacrissa Richards•

As she turned the key in the lock, Nacrissa could predict the precise sight that would greet her. She would most probably see Miss Kingsley trying to look confident and brave, but Nacrissa could always see the fear in her eyes. She didn't want the girls to be afraid of her, she wanted them to cooperate but even though they were scared of her, it seemed they were more afraid of one member of their own group.

She sighed, thinking back to how hard it was for her to even get them to talk the first few days. But even now, after four days, they still would not tell her who the fifth member was. She wasn't worried at all, she could get the information out of them sooner or later but there was one girl that worried her: Charlotte Barnes. The girl had a piercing gaze that would turn flesh to stone. Her eyes were shady green and held a depth of intelligence; they always made Nacrissa feel uncomfortable.

But what can a mere mortal do against you. You are so close. The bracelets are practically in your own hands. Are you going to let that little girl stand in your way?

She shook her head a bit to clear it and with renewed determination, Nacrissa pushed open the dark wooden door and beheld a sight that she had expected. Miss Kingsley was sitting on the bed, with her head high and had adopted an air of indifference, but the flash of uncertainty could be seen in her beautiful blue eyes. In many ways Emilia reminded Nacrissa of herself, when she was about the girls' age; beautiful, reliable and always ready with a witty comeback.

She smiled at the girls, trying to break some of the tension that was heavy in the air. But it was Miss Barnes' icy glare that bothered her the most. And as she had expected, the girl had taken up a guarded stance in the middle of the two beds with her arms crossed and her piercing gaze leveled on Nacrissa.

Looking at the two girls, Nacrissa wondered how the two had become friends. They were complete opposites in every way, but and as far as she could discern from her one week teaching experience at Vernal High, Woodford's most elite high school, the two girls were very close.

Trying to give Miss Barnes a sympathetic smile, she slipped the old-fashioned brass key into the pocket of her trench coat. But even before she could greet the girls, Miss Charlotte's clear and confident voice rang out, "What do you want?"

"I want to talk, of course." Nacrissa replied, trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

Who does this little 'miss-know-it-all' think she is? I gave them comfortable rooms, made sure that they would not want for anything and this is the thanks I get?

It could have been a lot worse for the girls, but Nacrissa had opted against putting them in the torture chambers a few doors down. She wanted them to trust her and she thought that maybe they would cooperate, but it seemed that the girls valued their friendship, and not one member of the four was willing to tell her about their fifth friend, who had the bracelet. Usually Nacrissa's stay in this cell consisted of a heated glaring match between her and Miss sour-puss.

"Well, I think we could talk much better in the upstairs drawing room, no?" Charlotte said, her words dripping with sarcasm. Nacrissa silently seethed but she wouldn't lose her cool in front of the girls. So she tried a more direct approach, so that she could teach the young miss her place.

"Let me think... no. I believe my drawing room is reserved for guests only, and you darling, are my prisoner. It would not look fit if I were to entertain you upstairs. Besides, you haven't told me what I wanted to know, so why should I take your feelings into consideration?" Nacrissa said, slightly tilting her head.