Why Hana Abadeer is better than Mrs. Gumball

The next morning Bubba woke up to the sensation of being weighed down and unable to move. He felt himself internally panic, wondering if he was back at home, back in that glass prison he knew far too well. He carefully opened his eyes but when he saw the room was dark and there were posters and band shirts hanging on the wall, he smiled, knowing he was safe in Marshall’s room. It also took him a moment to realize it was Marshall that was weighing him down, snoring away into the early morning.

The two had their limbs tangled in the most impossible way, and Bubba’s heart raced, feeling his leg squished between Marshall’s thighs. His eyes trailed over from the wall to Marshall’s sleeping face, which was only a few inches away from Bubba’s. His black shaggy hair fell over his eyes and his grey neck was left exposed, with a little bit of shoulder to accompany it. Bubba had to close his eyes, too tempted to do more than just stare if he kept them open.

But a moment later, he opened his eyes quite suddenly when he felt something very hard pressing against the middle of his thigh. Please don’t tell me what I think it is, Bubba thought, trying to extract himself from Marshall. But when he tried to, Marshall pulled him in closer, putting whatever it was right against Bubba’s hip, which made something of Bubba’s react almost instantaneously.

I think this may be the gayest experience of my life, Bubba thought, speedily flipping over and crawling out of the bed before Marshall could grab him again and pull him in even closer.

After a few minutes calming down and attempting to brush his hair, he got out of the bathroom and saw that Marshall was barely awake and taking his shirt off. “Damn it, knock before you come in!” Marshall hissed, his cheeks heating up as he glared at Bubba with tired eyes. Bubba quickly shut the door at that moment and decided he didn’t care that he was only in his pajamas and his hair was still curly and unkempt, he was going to go out. He didn’t know where, but anywhere but there at the moment.

But as soon as he stepped outside, he was greeted by the unrelentless torrent of rain, and the distant rumble of thunder. He sighed and went back inside, and was greeted by Hana, who was shuffling into the kitchen, with a thick, fluffy robe on and her brightest slippers. She didn’t seem to notice him at all though, just like a ghost passing by, until she reached her coffee machine. When she poured her coffee into a large black mug, and took her first sip out of it, was when she finally noticed Bubba. “Oh! Good morning Bubba! What are you doing awake this early? It’s a Saturday, only adults should be legally allowed to be up before 9 on a weekend....”

“I couldn’t really sleep. Plus Marshall’s hogging the blankets.” Bubba said with a small laugh, Hana laughing along, thinking that was so typical of Marshall.

“So Bubba, how have things been going lately? I know we haven’t really talked since we left...but there were certain circumstances that made us have to leave. What happened with your mother though, that made you come over here? Are you two in a fight?” Hana asked, pouring some sugar into her coffee.

“They’ve been...well not that great to be honest. Oh, yeah, Marshall...he told me about why you had to leave,” Bubba explained, and when he noticed Hana’s look of disbelief he added, “Don’t worry, I’m going to keep his secret safe. Oh and my mom and I, well she sort of hurt me in a way that I’ll never be able to recover, so I’m kind of in hiding from her. I don’t know where she is either, I haven’t seen any signs from her in the past few days.”