...was...

"Oh God!" Kailey exclaimed as soon as her eyes landed on her friend. "What happened to you?"

Jane slammed her locker door shut before turning to face Kailey, whose eyebrows were furrowed in worry.

Jane sighed, "Just... a little accident." She felt bad for lying but she had no choice. It was not that she could just be like: Oh about that! My cousin actually broke my leg when he tried to rape me. She actually felt quite embarrassed to speak about that. If she were capable of doing it, she would gladly erase that moment from her memory.

Kailey pouted slightly, looking at Jane's crutches with a frown. "It's nothing too serious, is it?" she asked.

"No it's just a minor injury but to be on the safe side and for me to recover quicker, I'm using those crutches," Jane explained and noticed the countenance of Kailey relax.

"Alright," she said. "C'mon! Let me help you get to class."

"Oh no! It's not necessary I can manage by myself," Jane protested. She didn't want to be a burden for her friend now.

Kailey shook her head. "I'm helping you, whether you like it or not," she stated and looped an arm around Jane's waist.

"Thank you Kailey," Jane said in a small voice.

Kailey smiled and gave her a kiss on her cheek. "That's the least I can do for such an amazing friend like you," she stated.

The rest of the day flew by like normal. With the constant help from her friend, Jane jumped from class to class with ease. She was very grateful for everything that Kailey was doing for her. She realized that if it weren't for her support, she wouldn't have been able to cope with the new circumstance in which she found herself.

When lunch time came, the girls went out onto the field. The school cantine was too crowded for Jane and she preferred to avoid the sympathetic and curious looks of the others. She was not at all accustomed to being the centre of attention and there was no doubt that her entrance with crutches would turn heads her way.

They both sat down onto the freshly cut grass, under the shade of a tree. Jane was more than glad to extend her legs, especially since they were starting to hurt a little bit. From far, they could catch a glimpse of the football team practicing as usual.

"Oh! Look who's coming," said Kailey as she nudged her friend with her elbow.

Jane looked up and froze. It was Samuel, making quick steps towards them. He was still in his football jersey and looked exhausted, with beads of sweat dripping down the side of his face.

I have to keep my distance, the words resonated in Jane's head.

Samuel crouched in front of the girls, sending a smile towards Jane. "Hi," he greeted.

"Hey you!" Kailey replied and nudged her friend again, bringing her out of her frozen state.

"Hi Samuel," Jane said with a shy smile.

"What happened to your leg?" he asked, his voice reflecting the same worry Kailey had before.

"It's just a little accident," she repeated. "Nothing too serious," she added with a reassuring smile.

Samuel sighed and ran a hand through his messy hair. They fell back on his forehead, making him look adorable. Jane could barely keep her eyes off him but before she was caught staring, she averted her gaze towards Kailey — who had a teasing look on her face.

"Oh no! I think I forgot my Physics notes in my locker," Kailey said as she pretended to rummage into her school bag. She then let out a fake, dejected sigh and said, "I'll go get them real quick! Samuel will keep you company. Right Samuel?"

"Uh.. yeah sure," he replied.

Jane's eyes widened and she sent a glare towards her friend. She knew exactly what the latter was plotting. Before she could say anything, Kailey winked at her and ran off towards the school building.

Samuel let himself down on the grass, a few inches next to Jane. There was a tensed silence reigning between them, which was very unlikely. Long ago, they were very talkative but now the situation was different. Jane was scared to utter a word; she didn't even know what she was supposed to say... to the guy crushing on her.

She retrieved her bottle of water from her bag and took a few sips, feeling as if her throat would turn dry as hay from being silent for too long.

"How did it happen?" Samuel inquired, breaking the silence.

"Uhm... I–" Jane stuttered, not knowing what to answer. She hadn't thought of any excuse because she never thought that someone would even care to ask. "I slipped on wet floor," she said.

Samuel frowned and nodded.

"I hope you'll get well soon," he said after a moment. He caught Jane by surprise when he reached out and covered her hand with his.

Jane felt herself going stiff at the physical contact, despite the electric shivers that she got from the warm touch.

"I hate seeing you like this," he mumbled to himself but Jane heard it all. She felt her heart burst with yet another foreign emotion.

She looked up at Samuel when he squeezed her hand slightly and her breath hitched in her throat when she noticed how close they were. It seemed that Samuel came even closer.

She couldn't help but stare into the depth of Samuel's warm green eyes. He was so beautiful... too beautiful for her. She couldn't deserve a guy as perfect as him.

Jane was still in a dreamy state and she didn't realise that they were nose to nose. When she came back to her senses, Samuel's lips were already on hers. She felt ticklish in her stomach as her heart started beating faster. That foreign feeling was back again.

But she barely responded. She was so caught off-guard by the kiss.

Samuel pulled away and cupped her cheeks. "I really like you Jane," he confessed and pecked her lips.

Jane was breathing heavily and was at a loss for word. Her insecurities was overwhelming her, and so was that foreign feeling.

It looked like Samuel was about to go in for another kiss when the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch.

Jane scurried to get away, shoving her things into her bag and brought herself onto her feet with the help of her crutches. As she walked away from Samuel, she couldn't help from thinking, I broke my promise... I didn't kept kept my distance.

But oddly this time, she had no regret whatsoever. If anything, it was the best first kiss ever.

_____________________________________
Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think. Don't forget to fill that little star too.
_____________________________________
Stay beyoutiful,
Peace!