chains | ringo ☻

era: 1962
name: millie

"won't you hold my hand?"

"ritchie, it's just a rollercoaster!"

i grabbed his arm and pulled him close to me on the ride. we were two of many couples at the liverpool fair that day. we were prepared to ride one of the scariest rides of them all; the butt-buster. four loops. two spins. five minutes of pure terror.

ringo rubbed his hands together, pulling me into his side. "are 'ye sure about this?"

"don't be such a baby, richard!" i laughed. he sighed, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "are you ready?"

"am i ready? god, no. i know you are," he replied. "let's just get this over with..." the restraints fell down onto our laps, so we secured them in.

"this is it, ritchie," i muttered. the ride began to whir as our bodies were pulled up in the seats. "my transcend out of childhood, into adulthood. right?"

"huh?" ritchie looked back at me from looking over the railing. "oh, yeah. sure."

i grinned as i saw his shaky hand take mine into his. "i'm not a kid anymore! i'm nearly eighteen... not a kid anymore." the ride started.

i lifted my free hand up and screamed along with the other twenty people lifting theirs. ritchie screamed, but not out of excitement. "hands up!" i lifted the other with mine. he shrunk his hand back down, refraining against it.

"oh... my... go-o-od!" he screamed.

we went upside down just for a moment, and i saw his face twist into horror. as we turned and went up and down, i felt the adrenaline boost hit. it was lots of fun, no matter how much screaming we did.

"oh, oh, god!" i almost thought i heard ritchie laugh, but i couldn't have been completely sure. there were other people on the ride.

"isn't it fun?!"

"no!"

we finally made the last loop, the carts slowing down gradually. ritchie's hair was spiked up from all the air hitting him, and i'm sure mine was too. he squeezed my hand, unbuckling the second the restraints came off. i saw a little kid give him a dirty look as we walked past. probably because of all the high-pitched screaming coming from ritchie.

"that was horrible..." he uttered. "let's do it again!"

𝐲𝐨. 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐞 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐡𝐞𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐝 :)