she's leaving home | george ☻

era: 1976 (post beatles)
name: ameilia

in early honour of fall starting, here's a lil oneshot with our georgie 🤧🥺

                                              -

his hand slapped the small pumpkin that found itself on the yellow grass.

"yep, this one's nice and firm." george slapped it a few more times, evoking a laugh from me.

i was bundled in one of his old jackets that no longer fit him, a beanie keeping my head nice and warm. we were pumpkin picking at the old pumpkin patch one late october night.

the idea came up when george saw an ad in the paper and dragged me out with him. at first, i didn't want to go. only because i thought it was stupid and wouldn't be fun, but george proved me wrong as soon as we got there.

the air crisp with coldness, my breath came out in a small cloud of fog, showing just how cold it was outside. i practically begged george to let us go on a warmer night, but he persisted we go tonight.

"i think we'll take this one," he said.

an old man did something to the pumpkin and it came undone from the stem thingy. he put it in a small bucket and handed it to george. we stepped over the other pumpkins and made our way to the front, where the old man had a small trailer with a small register at the front.

"that'll be... fifteen pounds," he said to george, straightening his cap.

"fifteen?!" george cringed. he quickly pursed his lips and handed over the money without another word. he shook his head with a bittersweet smile. he looked back at me. "anything for my ameilia."

i smiled widely as the man handed the pumpkin back to us in a small, halloween decorated bag. george leant forward and grabbed it, putting his wallet back into his pocket.

"let's go decorate this son of a bitch," george cursed under his breath, getting stares from the other old folks. we got into his car with the slam of the door.

he started it and i felt adrenaline pump through me as he took off before i could even get my seatbelt on. "george!" i yelled.

"safety first!" he screeched. i rolled my eyes while struggling to grab hold of the seatbelt and belt in. finally, i got it after a minute.

"you didn't have to-" i started.

"it's alright, i really wanted to, and i know how much you wanted a normal childhood," george said. "i told you, i'm making it my mission to do all the things you could never do as a kid!"

i smiled at his thoughtfulness. he was never really this kind to me when we met, but something triggered in him to suddenly be so thoughtful and gentle with me. i liked it more than his gruff demeanour.

"i really appreciate you doing this, but it's coming straight out of your wallet," i furrowed my brows at him, placing a freezing hand on his warm one that was on the steering wheel.

"trust me, i enjoy doing this, ameilia!" george squeezed my hand back. "you didn't get to do any of this. you were an orphan, you grew up in the orphanage. until you were eighteen, you didn't have a normal life like most. i hate that. i'm trying to be nice for a change. let me."

i felt my lower lip quiver. he was being so kind. i didn't really deserve any of his attention or sincerity. i felt like crying but didn't want george to think he was doing anything wrong. so, i forced myself to sniffle back the tears and just smile at him.

"okay."

thank you all so so much for 100 followers!!