Chapter 5

*Unedited*

There was silence at the other end for a moment before Jake spoke. "I will be in the city in 2 days. In the mean while, change your phone number and send me a screen-shot of the message he sent you, do you understand?."

Dana just shook her head in a 'yes', forgetting that he can't see her.

"Dana?"

"Yes. Yes I will." She answered.

"Stay alert. I will let the police know that he contacted you." Then after a moment he added, "Look, I know you're a bit shaken right now but I need you to be focused and keep your eyes open."

"What does he want? He knows we have a restraining order against him." Dana pressed her hand to her forehead and closed her eyes.

Jake took a second before replying, "I won't let that bastard hurt you again, Dana. I promise. Take care of yourself. Keep me updated, alright?"

"Yeah."

"I wish I could be there with you right now." At the same time she heard someone calling his name in the background. "Listen, I gotta go. But text me from time to time so I don't worry."

"I will." She hung up after saying that.

For a moment, all she could hear was the silence. It was deafening. She cleared her throat and kept her phone aside.

In the evening, she showered and went out to party with a few friends. She invited Bianca too but she said she was busy.

That night she sat with her butt planted at the bar almost all the time. It helped her to block out the memories that were forcing her to go back in the past. It wasn't a place she wanted to go, ever.

A few drinks later, she stared at her glass of wine absentmindedly. Then she shook her head slightly before grabbing the glass and taking a swing.

Her phone screen showed that she had a new message from Jake.

Everything okay? It read.

Yes. She replied.

She looked around, lost in her own thoughts.

Then she spotted Miriam walking towards her. Grinning like an idiot, she opened her arms while sitting on the stool.

"Miriam! Miriam!" She called out her name when she saw her walking to her from the dance floor.

"Yes, darling."

"You know all these lights..." She looked around, focusing on the dark corners of the room. "It makes me think of aliens. I feel like one of them will jump out of the dark and eat us all. Why do I feel like this? Are aliens real?" She rambled and slurred, making Miriam frown.

Then Dana moved her hands to place them on Miriam's shoulder. However, the action knocked off her glass of wine in the process and the contents spilled on her dress. Instead of jumping out of her seat quickly to limit the damage, Dana burst out laughing like it was the funniest thing ever.

"Exactly how many of these did you drink?" She pointed at Dana's now empty glass, looking at her strangely.

Dana chuckled and shrugged. "I asked you a question first. You know, you remind me of Ethan. He doesn't gives me straight answers either."

"Ethan? That rich guy from today?"

Dana nodded and pouted. "You are changing the topic! Do you think there is something out in the space waiting to attack our planet? We all are gonna die!" She yelled the last part, looking around at other people. "We all are gonna-"