Chapter 11

*Unedited*

Jake had to suddenly return back to Connecticut early next morning but he promised that he would be back soon and that they would stay in touch until he gets back.

However, before he left, she updated him about the phone call that she had received from her father. It had drawn a very angry reaction from Jake, to say the least.

“What the hell does he want now?” He had asked angrily.

“I don’t know. We’ll see what the lawyer suggests we should do. I’m going to meet him later today.” Dana said. “Don’t worry. We’ll figure this out soon.”

Jake took a minute to think about it and calm down before he nodded. “Just let me know whatever you guys discuss. Keep me in the loop.”

“Of course. Thank you for being here.”

“How could I not?” He placed his hands on her shoulders and looked at her. “You mean a lot to me, Dana.” He pulled her to him and hugged her.

Dana immediately hoped that he meant that in a friendly way. She thought about the night before when Ethan had dropped her off and that kiss that he’s placed on her cheek. She didn’t feel anything romantically for Jake, she was sure of that.

“Thanks again.” She said as she pulled away. “I’ll stay in touch.”

Now, Ethan and Dana sat in the lawyer’s office. Dana explained everything that had happened.

"Has your father every called you like that before?" Mr. Smith, their lawyer, asked.

"No. I was a little surprised that he did." Dana admitted.

"And he said he needed your help?"

Dana nodded.

"She thinks he just called her because he was intoxicated and didn't know what he was doing." Ethan said. "I don't think that's the case."

"You both could be right. We can't jump to conclusions though. Ms. Johnson, please let me know if this happens again. It could be possible that this has nothing to do with the matter on hand or it could have everything to do with it. Either way, we can't take it lightly." He said.

"I think you're right." Dana glanced in Ethan's direction briefly to see what he thought.

"I feel the same." He said giving her an assuring nod. "I-" He was interrupted by his phone ringing. "Excuse me." He held up a finger, asking for a moment as he got up and left the lawyer's office to take the call.

"There is one more thing." Mr. Smith said after a few seconds, making Dana look at him questioningly. "I suggest that you stay away from crowded public places."

"Mr. Smith, this is New York. I use the subway every day. My work requires me to be in places that are usually heavily crowded. It's not a very convenient option."

"I understand that. But safety should be your first priority. Anyways, I don't think you should cut down on it drastically. Just start gradually."

Dana nodded even though she didn't know how that was going to be possible. It was true that it's important for her to protect herself, but in the process, she couldn't ignore the fact that it was also necessary for her to earn a decent living. 

"Sorry. I had to take that call." Ethan said as he re-entered the lawyer's office. "Where were we?"

"I was just saying Ms. Johnson here that she should consider avoiding public places as much as she can as a safety measure."

Ethan looked in Dana's direction. "If that's necessary then she should. Yes?"

Dana nodded and sighed. "Yeah."