[40] - The Will Of A Thousand Warriors

"Alex wait!"

That voice...

It sounds so familiar...

"Alex it's Stranger please, don't do this."

She opens her eyes, seeing the surrounding world in a blur as noises echo in the distance from the reality she just can't seem to escape.

"You have so much more to live for, so much to do and to experience. Don't let your demons win."

"You don't get it."

Her voice trembles once feeling flows back into her body, tears and rain falling off her lips as she talks.

"T—They already have. They are all that I am, that I see. I can't go a day without feeling like I'm some monster that doesn't belong here..."

Stranger takes a step forward, leaving Cooper to stand at the car door, frozen in place.

"You're not some monster, ok? You're just lost, wandering around, waiting for someone to find you. I found you, Alex. I'm looking at you right now, right here in front of me. Just turn around."

"I can't..."

"I left my life behind, my family, because I was so selfish and self centered. I left you behind because I've been wallowing in self pity, sinking further and further into this...t-this pit of-of depression. I don't want to get out of it because it gives me an excuse for all of my problems and all of the things I've done. It's my ticket out of this hell whole. I-I'm not strong enough Stranger..."

"That's..."

He struggles to keep his voice from shaking, but not because of the rain drenching his clothes.

"That's ok. You've been strong for so long, it's taken a toll on your body. That's why I'm here. Alex from the moment you first called me, I knew you were different, and I knew I would be selfish enough to do anything that would keep you in my life. You've shown me strength and hope to stand up to my own demons."

Another step.

"I've been haunted by them for so long, whether they were suppressed or right there in front of me. The people in my life like Cooper, Cameron, Damon, and you...you guys are the reason that I'm here today, not because you carried all of my problems but because we shared the load together. Our pains, our weaknesses. We're stronger together. All of us. That means you too."

"I need you Alex..."

"I understand that you're hurting and that you're in pain. It's going to be a process in becoming better but you bet your ass I'll be there EVERY step of the way. I'll always be there for you..."

"I'm scared..."

"Scared of what?"

"Of losing the people I care about..."

"All my life I've felt like I've been running from something. From people maybe, and my problems, and every time I get close to someone, they leave. I'm afraid that's because of me..."

"Do I make them so repulsed that they rather kill themselves than be with me?"

"Absolutely not. Dec was lost, just like you are. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't see the perks of reality because his demons were blocking the light. Their goal is to break you down so much to the point of suicide. People don't understand that. Like you said, they preach how it's not the answer, then they're the ones to ignore it."

"You are worth fighting for. You are worth the time and effort. You're kind, thoughtful, and all around an amazing person."

Stranger huffs, feeling his heart pound harder with each raindrop to hit the Earth.

"I don't know what I would do without you Alex."

Her head swivels the slightest in his direction behind her, but still not enough to see him.

"You would continue on about your life as was before meeting me."

"I can't imagine that."

"I'm just a nineteen year old girl that owns nerdy t-shirts, watches reruns of The Flash and—"

"—And gets emotional over Marvel movies? I cry at the end of Infinity War. Every time.

That small smile returns to her frostbitten lips.

"You r-remembered."

"Of course I did. You're important to me."

Now, he's only feet away.

"Please, come with me. You can come back to our place, get into some warm clothes, hot chocolate if you want then we can talk about everything in the morning."

"Just don't...don't leave, please.."

"Stay."

"Take my hand and I'll tell you that everything will be ok."

"All I know is how to be alone..."

"Then lets be alone together."

With the will of a thousand warriors, she turns, letting the outstretched hand engulf hers. Barely a second passes before arms are wrapped around Alex, pulling her away from death's open door.

"Everything's gonne be ok, I promise."

*

Wow.

Only one more chapter till the end.

But I do have plans for a bonus chapter or two, so don't worry.

Thank you all for sticking around for so long, or even if you're new, thank you. Our characters have progressed so much.

Don't forget to:

vote
comment
share with your friends
add to your reading list
and follow me for more updates and new books to come.

Until next time

❤️