[26] - Worth Keeping Around

alex | cooper

*

MURDERER.

That seven letter word sprawled out in yellow paint across dorm 147 for all to see.

She stands there staring at it while others begin speculating the reason behind such a harsh accusation. Most immediately think of her ties with Declan Cooke, who had taken his life not that long ago. Though, everyone besides Alex knows the truth, a truth that gets more painful with each passing day.

I'm not a murderer...

Am I?

She tries inserting her key, but because of the constant shaking from her hand, she's unable to enter the dorm. Instead of trying again, Alex walks off nearly in tears.

———————————————————————
Calling Stranger...
———————————————————————

"Come on, pick up."

——————————————————————
Calling Stranger...
——————————————————————

"Pick up, pick up, pick up."

——————————————————————
Incoming Call From Alex
——————————————————————

"H—"

"S-Stranger?"

"No, Cooper."

"Where is he? I-I need to speak with him."

"Listen, nows not a good time."

"..."

"Why? What happened?"

"O—er, Stranger is unavailable. You're gonna have to call back later."

"Is he ok?"

"I..."

"Cooper."

"..."

"He's fine."

"Don't lie to me. I am not having a good day. So you tell me what's wrong with him."

"A lot of things—I don't know how to explain it."

"Just try."

"..."

"He was taking finals and got called down to the main office of the building. His dad had a heart attack. He's still alive but isn't looking too good. I got to the house and found him in the bathroom..."

"No...no—no. No. He—He wouldn't have—would he? Stranger said—"

"The dude says a lot of things, Alex. Listen, I'll have him call you back later but we're at the hospital right now."

"Is it bad?"

"No. It wasn't cuts along his wrist, but there was blood and shattered glass from the mirror. The only thing he told me was to take him here, to see his dad."

"I should've called earlier...maybe I could have prevented it."

"He doesn't want you to blame yourself. The way you make him smile, I haven't seen that kind of joy from him in a long time, even when Kelsey was around."

"What happened between them? He said it wasn't good—how it ended."

"It's not my place. When Strangers ready, he'll tell you. In the mean time, don't worry about a thing. I've been by his side for a long time. That's not gonna change."

"Promise me something."

"What's that?"

"Continue looking out for him. He's a pain in the ass sometimes but...he's worth keeping around."

"I feel like that's something I should be saying."

"Maybe."

"..."

"You really care for him, don't you."

"Was that a question?"

"More like a statement, but sure."

"Of course I—I care for him but..."

"..."

"But what?"

"I haven't been able to think about it much..like that, if what I assume your implying is correct. And I just got out of a relationship."

"I'm not saying you guys need to date immediately or anything but he could use a girl like you in his life. Maybe just as a friend...in person, that can take him out when things get tough to like—hell, to get ice cream. O—Stranger, is the kind of person to appreciate the little things in life. Definitely worth keeping around."

"Yeah...well I uh, I have to go. Can you give him a message for me?"

"Yeah of course, what is it?"

"Tell him..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Ok, will do."

"Thank you..."

"Anytime."

*

Overview:
• Someone painted 'murderer' on Alex's door, Stranger punches a mirror, and his dad had a heart attack.

Questions To Answer In Comments:
• What do you think it is Alex told Cooper to tell Stranger?
• Cooper almost slipped up and told Alex what Strangers name is. Any guesses?
• Will his dad survive?

Until next time

❤️