The Prince and The Captain

The king and queen of Greenwood were sleeping peacefully, tangled on the bed. Thranduil kept his arms tight around Eluriel, in fear that she might go away if he let go. The knock on the door woke him up but he remained still, gathering his senses. He looked down to see his wife's head resting on his chest. Thranduil kissed her head and managed to slip out from under her, putting on a robe before he attended to the door.

"My king," the guard did a quick head bow before Thranduil.

"Let me guess, the dwarves have escaped."

"Yes, your majesty. The guards gave chase, but we were ambushed by a group of orcs."

Thranduil's heart beat faster at the mention of his enemies, but his appearance stayed calm.

"Where is my son?" He asked darkly.

"The Prince is safe, your majesty. The dwarves escaped, but his Highness managed to bring in an Orc."

Thranduil gave an impressed expression. He'd have to commend his son's skills, but Legolas was still his son, and they had soldiers to fight their battles for them. Thranduil couldn't bare losing Legolas.

"Have the creature brought to court. I will be down shortly. And send for Fenrir to come to my chambers."

"Yes, your majesty." The guard bowed again and swiftly went off.

Thranduil closed the door and went back towards the bed, grabbing a cup of wine on the way. He sat sideways on the bed, sipping his wine as he drank in the sight of his soul sleeping on their bed. Reaching forward, he drew a knuckle down the contour of her face, feeling her warmth against his skin.

Eluriel smiled before she opened her eyes. The queen turned onto her side and looked up at him with hooded eyes. Thranduil cupped her face and smiled back.

"<Good morning, my king>."

"<Good morning indeed, my queen>"

Ellie reached her hand up to hold his face, bringing him down for a kiss before she sat up. Thranduil offered her his cup and she took a big sip of the King's best wine.

"You're up early."

"A king's duty does not rest. I have an audience waiting at court."

"Mmm. What will you wear?"

"What would you like me to?"

"Red. You look so fine in silver and red."

"Red it is." Thranduil kissed her head and went to his enormous wardrobe, taking off his sleeping robe on the way.

"I've called for Fenrir. Do you remember him?"

"Yes I do. I think we've met. In Arindelle."

Thranduil laughed.

"So, it was my queen who laid waste of my guard."

"It was only just a game. Or perhaps you need better soldiers."

"You won't find any better than ours in all of Middle Earth."

"Yet you suffocate their talent to mere palace guards." Ellie was walking a thin line, mentioning her husband's need to only protect his own kingdom.

"Can we speak of something else?"

Eluriel put on Thranduil's discarded robe, wrapping it around herself as she walked to him.

"I want to see Legolas."

"You will, in time. Let me speak to him first." Thranduil wrapped his arms around her. "And you're not exactly dressed right for meeting your son for the first time in forever." He pulled at his robe around her shoulders.