Choices

(Present)

Eluriel paced in her rooms waiting for Fenrir to bring her her clothes. She was almost ready to attack when a knock came on the door. Ella wrapped the robe around herself and went to open the door. The old man smiled at her before curtsying.

"My queen."

"My friend. Do not lower yourself before me."

Fenrir rose and Ella lead him in, taking the new clothes from him. She took the clothes behind the partition to change.

"You knew who I was back in Arendale."

"I did, indeed."

"And you didn't find it necessary to tell me?"

"Well, naturally, people don't come back from death. I couldn't know for sure, or what effect it might have on your head, to tell you."

"So you were looking out for me?"

"As always and till forever."

Eluriel stepped out from behind the curtains, dressed fit for a queen. She smiled at Fenrir for his last comment and finally hugged him now that she was dressed.

"I have missed you, my daughter. We all have. His majesty has become a changed man since you left. And Prince-"

"Legolas? Tell me about him, Fen. My mother's heart cries for not getting to watch him grow."

"Well, Thranduil tried what he thought was the best way to keep Legolas sane. After your memorial, his majesty sent the prince to live in Rivendell. Thranduil was a raging mess after losing you. He couldn't let Legolas see him become so unraveled."

"My poor boys." Eluriel whispered to herself.

"After the first anniversary, Thranduil had all your mementos locked away. He put everything that reminded him of you in your ancestral rooms and had the hallway sealed."

"How dare he take me away from my son?!" Ellie yelled at the injustice.

"Prince Legolas held on to you for as long as he could remember you. Thranduil never told him of what happened in the north. Every day Legolas asked for you; where you had gone and when you would come back. Thranduil never answered him. The king spoke to no one those days. Lord Elrond stayed as long as he could, and when he went back to Rivendell, he took Legolas with him."

"Leggy always loved that place. To play with Elladan and Elrohir."

"And he stayed there practically forever. The king never called him back home. It was always Elrond who would make the initiative, bringing Legolas back for important events. But lord Elrond saw that Thranduil was too depressed to care for a child, so he took in your son as a ward. He only brought Legolas back often enough to remind Thranduil he had something to live for. It took his majesty years to recompose himself, but by then he'd already lost his son."

Eluriel cried, listening to the devastating affect of her death on her family. Oh why couldn't she have risen earlier? Kept them together?

"Where is Legolas now, Fenrir?" Ella asked desperately, dying to meet her son.

"He is in court with the king. Legolas captured one of the orcs who was chasing the dwarves."

Fenrir gave her a recount of what had happened, and her heart feared for her friends. This war was escalating quickly, and she had to get the elves involved.

Thanking her old captain, Ella ran out the door, running to her son. She had almost reached the court when instead she heard a door close from Legolas's hallways.