Chapter 36: Hippie Chics Get a Mulligan

Time for some fun, Leed style! Song for this chapter is I Like You by Ben Rector. There are other songs in the chapter, also, but most of them might be more familiar to you than this one, which is kind of Leed's theme for the night...

Ashlynn

Leed is up to something. We're supposed to be getting ready for our trip to LA, but I'm getting the feeling that is not happening, because he's adding way too many layers for sunny SoCal. So far, he's added a red fleece pullover, a black grey puffer vest, and a very soft, red, black and white cashmere scarf.

Not to his person. To mine. I'm trying to pack a small bag for an overnight trip like he asked me to, but every few seconds, Leed whirls me around like a rag doll and shoves another piece of outerwear on me.

As he loops the scarf around my neck and blouses it artistically, I say, "Dressing me would be so much more fun if you were doing it in reverse."

"Later," he winks and tosses me an open box with a pair of the most darling shearling leather hiking boots inside. With black and red laces. "Put those on, babe."

I'm trying not to look at the price tag on any of this stuff, but the boots are Rag and Bone—a very good brand. "Leed...did you have Tamara buy this stuff? On her date with her husband?"

"Jesus, Sunshine, give me some credit. Of course not. I had Janie buy it. Online with my card. She loves me now," he runs a hand through his hair. "I think it's the new 'do."

"All women love you," I assure him.

He pouts. "Not your sister."

"That's a good thing, babe."

He rolls his eyes. "Not really. She could do me a solid and pretend to be a little bit in love with me. You know, just to spare my feelings..."

I shake my head in disbelief. "Joely is right. Thinks he's God's gift..." I mumble, working my foot into the boot.

"What?"

"Nothing," I say quickly, because he is God's gift—to me. He's an absolute angel that has washed away my struggles, and I don't even mind his arrogance, because it's just so flippin' cute on him. But like Joely said, I have to keep him in line—a little. "Look here, Lawson...what's going on? I don't need boots like this for LA."

He drops down in front of me and puts his hands on my knees. "I'm aware. I have some very bad news, Sunshine. California finally fell into the ocean. No LA to go back to."

I give Leed my sternest expression. I'm aware with each passing day that Leed is making more and more disparaging remarks about LA and waxing more and more nostalgic on his Southern roots. I think he's seriously thinking about a second home down South. Mac and Adam are strongly encouraging him to drink the Heartley kool-aid and look for a place in Nashville, but Leed is dismissive of that idea, because why would he need a place in Nashville when he feels perfectly content to crash indefinitely at the Madam Mansion when the spirit so moves him? Leed keeps talking about Atlanta, or even Chattanooga which is halfway in between Atlanta and Nashville.

I'm not sure he's thought his plan through.

Trace is firmly set on taking LA by storm in the coming spring, and my sister plans to be right in the middle of his rock star mayhem. Which means Ben's job will definitely continue to be in LA and if Ben is there, that's where Tam and Ollie will be, too.

Which might put  a damper on Leed's idea to live like a nomad between family in Atlanta and family in Nashville and business in LA, because Leed will definitely expect to share custody of Ollie. I'm not sure Tamara will be comfortable with her baby being bicoastal.