Blessing or a curse?

Thursday, 14:30

In the four lonely corners of the abounded room, an equally solitary man sat behind his desk, reading through the numerous files that were left behind by several of his co-workers; some have fallen ill, others in need of help with managing of the workload.

He regretted coming into work today.
The gloomy weather only magnified EU's already depressing atmosphere. However the white and red country didn't regret being at work because of the weather conditions; he didn't mind as long as he had a way of sheltering himself from it.

The inside of the office was usually thermoregulated during the cooler days, but there was one thing that made him annoyed with himself for coming in today, maybe two; he was developing a cold, and with every hour that had passed he only felt himself grow drowsier and progressively more unwell, but may God be his witness, he'd much rather come into work sick, than hear even more unflattering comments from the German.

There was something about Germany's teasing that absolutely pained him on a deeper level, but he couldn't quite put a finger on it.
Although he never showed it, a small, prickling sensation always accompanied all of the insults, no matter which country he would be hearing them from, however it felt like it hit much too close to home when it was done by Germany.

Over the many years he had developed a thick skin of a sort, so this shouldn't be bothering him as much as it is, yet it does anyway...

The white and red country sipped the hot coffee, hoping to get rid of an unpleasant feeling of numbness in his tired body, only to be greeted by an even more unpleasant and intensely bitter taste.

Black coffee- the unholy matrimony of extra strong essence and no milk.

As much as he hated the taste of the dark brew, he still managed to force himself to drink it, in hopes that it'll prove itself to be his holy grail that would make him feel just a tad bit more awake.

As more time passed, Poland became progressively more irritable; although the building was technically emptier than usual, he seemed to be running into people that he didn't want to run into today, or any other day, really...

First there was Lithuania, although they didn't talk or greeted eachother, they did walk past one another in the corridor. This alone wasn't an issue, what was an issue was the discomfort and bizzare mixture of guilt, pressure and anxiety he experienced when his brother glared at him for a couple of seconds.

Second time he ran into UK, that had graciously offered the white and red country to do one third of his documents for him, and as much as Poland didn't feel like overworking himself today, he still complied nonetheless. He didn't want to antagonise UK against him and come off as, to put it in UK's words; "an unhelpful, bitter, old sod".

The bicoloured country once again swore under his breath, cursing himself out, once someone had asked him nicely for his assistance, he felt like saying a simple "no" was no longer an option.

Little did he know that these weren't the only instances where someone would ruffle his feathers today...

A faint knock to the door marked an arrival of even more trouble for him, as without an invitation nor a moment of hesitation the doors swung open.

"Good Afternoon, Polen" Greeted the tricoloured country, yet his eyes were still glued to the files he was holding in his hand.

"Afternoon, Niemcy. What brings you here?" Replied the other man unenthusiastically.

" Documents. There's been awfully little countries at work lately, everyone's been taking days off, kinda makes me wish I could as well... sadly that's the one and only pleasure that I cannot afford with my position."