Friendly Banter

The shorter man stared at the other country as if he had grown a second head.

"He drove you here... himself... willingly?" The tricoloured country continued with a disbelief,
" Why couldn't you come here by yourself?"
One of the Hungarian's eyes half closed and the other widened, as his brow arched.

"As I said, I left my car back there yesterday." The bicoloured country continued in a monotone and unemotional voice, that contrasted with Hungary's worried and inpatient tone.

" I mean, yeah, but how? How did you get home yesterday then?"

The tricoloured country looked at his friend's bored expression, that could only indicate one thing.

"Don't tell me he drove you home too."
The shorter country winced at the thought, and the other man let out a small, almost inaudible exhale.

"I was too tired to argue with his logic, so I've let him. Maybe it's for the better, I don't think that driving in the middle of the night when you're completely drained out of energy would be such a good idea."

"I guess you're right," the small tricoloured country agreed, " but I still don't understand why he did that..."

"Either do I, Węgry." The bicoloured country gazed down with a contemplative look on his face, his eyebrows pressing against eachother.

They sat in silence for the rest of the meeting.
Hungary listened to America's long speech about the conflicts and tensions between nations of the middle East, along with different meeting announcements. His friend, however, didn't seem to pay much attention to America's words. Poland just sat there, his back leaning against the chair, cross-armed, his silver eyes were still fixed in a position they were in before the end of the conversation, looking downwards at an empty space.

The speech had finally ended and the various nations have made their way out of the building, and as the German country was just about to do so as well, he was approached by his Austrian cousin.

Unfortunately for Germany, Austria just happened to exchange a couple of words with his brother about him already.

"Long time no see, cousin" greeted the shorter man, "So what's all this talk that I've been hearing about you acting all friendly with Poland?"

The taller man's eyes widened.

"W-what?! Who told you that?"

"Hungary, obviously. So.. do you like him or- ?"

" Pfft! Ha!" Scoffed the German, before Austria could even finish his sentence,
"Him? He's an irritating, disrespectful, petty moron that can't even do what he's told to do without having to argue with me about it first. Of course I'm not friendly with him in any way! " The tricoloured country spat back angrily at the accusations.

"Is that so?" Asked the Austrian with a sly grin on his face, " Because from what France had told me, you seemed to be quite impressed with how committed he was to his work."

The tricoloured country looked to the left, slightly abashed and frustrated by his cousin's intrusiveness. Although the Austrian didn't mean to be mocking or irritating, as he was just trying to make small talk, in Germany's mind he was that and much more at this moment.

No matter how much he didn't want to admit to it, Austria was right.

"France is a frivolous fool, she says a lot of things just to have something to talk about that would be of someone else's interest just to divert the attention from how uneventful her life actually is." The German complained, feeling annoyed with France as if she was to blame for his current situation.

"Aw, don't be like that, cousin, France is a part of our family now that her and UK got back again, she likes you a lot... Besides I don't think that he's the only one that likes you." The Austrian snickered as he turned his gaze to the white and red country that was currently chatting with his brother at the opposite side of the hall.
Upon noticing this action, the tricoloured country turned around to seek out the person that his cousin had in mind.

"Tsk! Right... It's not like he totally hates me or anything.." The German nation snarled quietly, his low tone had a note of soreness to it that luckily for him went by absolutely undetected by the shorter country.
For some inexplicable reason, Germany couldn't help but to feel saddened by the thought, he himself couldn't understand why he felt that way, but nothing about his thoughts and feelings really made sense to him lately.
He never seemed to care much about some countries' low opinion of him because he knew just how popular and well-liked he was by the majority of other countries, so why would he care soo much about an opinion of a singular, unimportant country? Or was this country more relevant in his mind than he made himself believe he was?

"Listen, for my brother's sake don't get him involved in some conflict between you and Poland, believe me, I'm not a fan of his either... but just please try to avoid having some sort of a miniature war or something, oh, and from what Hungary told me Poland really doesn't seem to bare much spite towards you unless you annoy him." Austria looked up at the German with an empathetic look on his face, trying to soothe the heavy atmosphere.

"Wait, really?" Germany inquired in a half whisper, his eyes sparkling a bit with hope, his small excitement confused the Austrian that up until now strictly believed in everything the taller tricoloured country had told him about his thoughts on Poland,
"I-uhh- I mean, of course. I wouldn't really want any serious conflicts either, I'm not some sort of a mad man", the taller man chuckled nervously.

"Um.. right. Bis morgen, cousin." The shorter country left Germany alone, Poland and Hungary have left the building about 2 minutes after him, seeing the bicoloured country leave the hall made him jump up a bit as he snapped out of his thoughts.

"Polen, wait!" The tricoloured country ran up to the other man.

"Afternoon, Niemcy. What's the matter?"Greeted the white and red country, his low voice although unemotional to most, felt ever soo warm to the tricoloured country.

"I think you forgot that you still need a ride home, Schwachkopf", growled the tricoloured country, rolling his eyes.

"Oh, that. I assure you I haven't forgotten, in fact I've asked Hungary to drop me off at the carpark so I could drive home myself... Oh and um- here"
The bicoloured country rummaged through his left pocket and pulled out a couple banknotes, handing them to Germany. "Gas money, it's in euro so you don't have to exchange the currency."
"Once again, thanks Niemcy." The white and red country gave a small half-smile that made Germany smile involuntarily and his usual stern glare to soften drastically, feeling his face warming up.
He wanted to say that he didn't want any money from him at that moment, and thank him for being considerate but for a reason unknown to him he was lost for words.

"Have a nice weekend," were the last words the white and red country said to him, before he turned around and set off into the direction of a red car that belonged to the Hungarian, which happened to wait for him inside of it already, sheltering himself from the nature's elements, while the white and red country tried preventing the rain from making him soaking wet by covering himself with one of his soft, white wings.

He watched the figure disappear into the car and soon enough he thought that it was time for him to go home too. The man headed to his own vehicle, feeling lucky about remembering to bring an umbrella, and strangely happy since he didn't think that there was a particular reason for him to feel glad.

_________________________________________
Author's note:

•No spell checks YEET
•Will probably edit later UvU